LIA - Alliance Annual Report - August 12, 2016
ANNUAL ALLIANCE REPORT
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
Laser Institute of America (LIA)
August 12, 2016
August 9, 2005
August 22, 2007, May 8, 2012, and December 18, 2014
August 9, 2015 – August 8, 2016
The OSHA and LIA Alliance focuses on providing the organization's members and others with information, guidance, and access to training resources that will help them protect employees' health and safety, particularly in reducing and preventing exposure to laser beam and non-beam hazards in industrial, medical, and research workplaces. In addition, the participants share information on laser regulations and standards, bioeffects of lasers on the eyes and skin, laser control measures, and laser safety program administration.
Implementation Team Members
- Morgan Seuberling*
- Safety and Occupational Health Specialist, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances (OOSA), Directorate of Cooperative and State Programs (DCSP)
- Christina Morgan**
- Safety and Occupational Health Specialist, OOSA, DCSP
- Bruce Love
- Program Analyst, Office of Small Business Assistance, DCSP
- Jeffrey Lodwick
- Health Physicist, Salt Lake Technical Center, Directorate of Technical Support and Emergency Management
- Stephen Schayer
- Health Scientist, Office of Physical Hazards, Directorate of Standards and Guidance
- Gus Anibarro
- Education Director, LIA
- Barbara Sams
- Director of Standards Development, LIA
- Hydee Cash
- Education Coordinator, LIA
*Morgan Seuberling re-joined the OSHA and LIA Alliance Implementation Team on February 1, 2016.
**Christina Morgan served on the OSHA and LIA Alliance Implementation Team until February 1, 2016.
Implementation Team Meetings
- September 16, 2015
- February 24, 2016
- July 21, 2016
In addition to these formal meetings, the Alliance coordinators from both groups maintained regular contact throughout the reporting period to monitor the Alliance's progress and results.
The following table summarizes the Alliance's activities in support of the goals in the Alliance agreement.
Training and Education: Deliver the Laser Safety Best Practices Seminar three times per year to OSHA staff, On-site Consultation staff, and Compliance Officers in selected Regional/Area Offices. OSHA's State Plan Compliance Officers and Onsite Consultation staff in the selected regions will be invited to attend. Activity Type Activity Name/Summary OSHA Areas of Emphasis Supported Number Reached Training Laser Safety Best Practices Seminar
- OSHA Staff in Region IV, February 26, 2016, Tampa, Florida
6 Training Laser Safety Best Practices Seminar
- OSHA Staff in Region III, June 14, 2016, Philadelphia, PA.
Training and Education: Develop a web based training program focusing on the Laser Safety Best Practices Seminar that can be accessed by OSHA staff, OSHA State Plan staff and Onsite Consultation staff. The online training webinar will be developed and instituted within the first two years of the agreement.
Activity Type Activity Name/Summary OSHA Areas of Emphasis Supported Number Reached Training The slides were drafted, submitted for the SME review, and are currently with LIA for revision. LIA also began work on the delivery process through their website. Project is still on schedule for completion in FY2017. Not Applicable
Outreach and Communication:Disseminate quarterly (via print and electronic media, social media, electronic assistance tools, and the LIA's web site) information on topics such as OSHA's initiatives, workers' rights, employer and employee responsibilities, and other information on occupational safety and health to employers and workers in the laser industry.
Activity Type Activity Name/Summary OSHA Areas of Emphasis Supported Number Reached Dissemination
LIA and OSHA Alliance Web Page
LIA maintains the LIA and OSHA Alliance Web page on its Website. Information includes links to the Alliance agreement and links to products developed by LIA through the Alliance Program. However, their Alliance Web page is in the process of re-construction and has been down for the past six months for conversion and updates to their system.
Not Available Dissemination
OSHA and LIA Alliance Web Page
OSHA's Alliance Web page continues to be updated with information on the Alliance, including products and resources.
1,283 [Page Views] Dissemination
LIA included a link to OSHA's 8/24/15 news release announcing the initial (9/9/15) meeting of the Emergency Response and Preparedness Subcommittee of the National Advisory Committee on Occupational Safety and Health in its LIA Connection E-Newsletter (September 2015)
LIA published an article in its LIA Today E-Newsletter entitled "OSHA to hold Monthly Meetings of National Advisory Committee on Occupational Safety and Health Temporary Workers Work Group." (September/October 2015)
Temporary Workers 10,000 Dissemination LIA included a link to OSHA's 9/21/15 news release: "OSHA extends comment period for proposed rule clarifying employers' continuing obligation to make and maintain accurate records of injuries, illnesses" in its LIA Connection E-Newsletter (October 2015) Recordkeeping 10,000 Dissemination
LIA included a link to OSHA's 11/9/15 news release: "OSHA and the American Red Cross renew alliance focused on protecting the safety and health of volunteers, employees" in its LIA Connection E-Newsletter (November 2015)
Healthcare 10,000 Dissemination LIA published an article in its LIA Today E-Newsletter entitled "OSHA's new Safety Health Program Management Guidelines." (December 2015) Health and Safety Programs 10,000 Dissemination LIA included a link to OSHA's 12/1/15 news release: "OSHA issues tools to help prevent workplace violence in healthcare settings" in its LIA Connection E-Newsletter (December 2015) Workplace Violence 10,000 Dissemination
LIA included a link to OSHA's 12/23/15 news release: "OSHA, Independent Electrical Contractors renew alliance aimed at protecting construction workers from electrical hazards" in its LIA Connection E-Newsletter (January 2016)
Construction 10,000 Dissemination LIA published an article in its LIA Connection E-Newsletter entitled "OSHA is Extending the Public Comment Period on Guidance for Determining Potential Health Hazards of Chemicals." (March 2016) Hazard Communication 10,000 Dissemination
LIA published an article in its LIA Connection E-Newsletter entitled "OSHA Updates Eye And Face Protection Standards In Final Rule." (April 2016)
Protective Clothing 10,000 Dissemination
LIA published an article in its LIA Today E-Newsletter entitled "OSHA Updates." (March/April 2016)
LIA published an article in its LIA Connection E-Newsletter entitled "OSHA National Advisory Committee on Occupational Safety and Health Schedules Fourth Meeting of the Emergency Response and Preparedness Subcommittee." (May 2016)
Emergency Response 10,000 Dissemination
LIA published an article in its LIA Connection E-Newsletter entitled "The Major New OSHA Rule Setting off a Fierce Debate in Manufacturing." The article discusses the new regulation on injury and illness reporting requirement that mandates manufacturers and other business to log incidents electronically and keep them on hand. (June 2016)
Electronic Injury and Illness Recordkeeping 10,000 Dissemination
LIA published an article in its LIA Today E-Newsletter entitled "Learning from Laser Safety Incident in the Medical Setting." (June 2016)
LIA published an article in its LIA Today E-Newsletter entitled "OSHA National Advisory Committee on Occupational Safety and Health Schedules Fifth Meeting of the Emergency Response and Preparedness Subcommittee." (July 2016)
Outreach and Communication: Provide opportunities annually for OSHA to speak, exhibit, or appear at the Lasers in Manufacturing Event and for OSHA's participation at the biennial International Laser Safety Conference.
Activity Type Activity Name/Summary OSHA Areas of Emphasis Supported Number Reached Exhibit
2016 Laser Additive Manufacturing Conference, March 2 - 3, 2016, Kissimmee (Orlando), FL
- LIA provided exhibit and distributed OSHA and LIA materials.
2016 Lasers for Manufacturing Event (LME) April 26-27, 2016, Atlanta, GA
- LIA provided an Alliance exhibit and Region IV OSHA staff distributed OSHA and LIA materials.
Outreach and Communication: Work with other Alliance participants (e.g., The Joint Commission and Joint Commission Resources) to make training on laser safety available to their members, as appropriate.
Activity Type Activity Name/Summary OSHA Areas of Emphasis Supported Number Reached Speech/Presentation
Florida Chapter, Health Physics Society, November 13, 2015, Sarasota, FL.
- Steve Schayer coordinated contact between Kurt Geber, HPS, with Gus Anibarro, LIA for a presentation at the event. Gus Anibarro gave a present on the alliance and on laser safety best practices at this event.
OSHA Consultation Conference, May 19, 2016, Kansas City, Kansas
- LIA provided a workshop to conference attendees on Laser Safety Training. Additionally, the morning session was made available through OSHA's website as a webcast.
25 [In Person] TOTAL: 141,697
To ascertain whether the Laser Safety Best Practices training seminars are increasing participants' knowledge of the subject matter, LIA designed a "pre" and "post" course knowledge test. To date, average test scores have continued to increase significantly after course completion. In addition, LIA administers a course evaluation to seminar participants; feedback continues to be overwhelmingly positive.
In the next year, LIA will continue to conduct Laser Safety Best Practice Seminars for OSHA staff in the Regional, Area Offices, and State Plan States and will use feedback received to improve course content if needed. LIA also intends to rollout their web-based Laser Safety Best Practice training course. In addition, LIA will continue to disseminate information about OSHA's rulemaking, enforcement, and other initiatives, and provide OSHA with exhibit opportunities at both the Laser Additive Manufacturing Conference and International Laser Safety Conference.
Report prepared by Morgan Seuberling, Safety and Occupational Health Specialist, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances, August 12, 2016.
- Alliance Product: Products (e.g., fact sheets, videos, toolbox talks) developed by Alliance participants as part of the Alliance. These are not OSHA products.
- Dissemination: An Alliance participant sends OSHA information, Alliance products, or other safety and health information to its stakeholders. This includes information sent by email or social media (Facebook, Twitter), and information included in newsletters and other publications. It also includes hits on the Alliance participant's or OSHA's Web page.
- Evaluation: Any efforts by the Alliance participant to evaluate the effectiveness of an Alliance activity or the Alliance as a whole.
- Event: Participation in events such as the Construction Roundtable and NAOSH Week.
- Exhibit: OSHA exhibits at events sponsored by the Alliance participant.
- OSHA Product Review: Review of an OSHA product by an Alliance participant. For example, an Alliance participant may provide technical comments on an OSHA eTool or publication. The review itself is considered the Alliance activity.
- Speech/Presentation: Speeches or presentation by OSHA staff at events sponsored by the Alliance participant.
- Training: This includes best practice seminars or other training that Alliance participants provide for OSHA staff. It also includes training for workers/employers/others by Alliance participants.
- Other: Use this if an activity does not fit into one of the other categories.
OSHA Areas of Emphasis:
- Asian American/Pacific Islander Workers
- Fall Prevention
- Hazard Communication/Chemicals
- Health Care
- Heat Illness Prevention
- Hispanic/Latino Workers
- Oil and Gas
- Small Business
- Temporary Workers
- Young Workers