||Chemical Sampling Information
|Tin Oxide (as Sn) (Total Dust)
OSHA IMIS Code Number: 2432
Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS) Registry Numbers: 21651-19-4 (Stannous Oxide (Synonyms: SnO; Tin(II) Oxide)); 18282-10-5 (Stannic Oxide (Synonyms: SnO2; Tin(IV) Oxide))
NIOSH, Registry of Toxic Effects (RTECS) Identification Numbers: XQ3700000 or XQ4000000
NIOSH Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards, Tin(II) Oxide (as Sn) or Tin(IV) Oxide (as Sn): chemical description, physical properties, potentially hazardous incompatibilities, and more
OSHA Permissible Exposure Limit (PEL) for Maritime: 29 CFR 1915.1000 Table Z-Shipyards -- 15 mg/m3 TWA
American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH) Threshold Limit Value (TLV): 2 mg/m3 TWA (TLV listed under Tin, as Sn (Oxide & Inorganic Compounds, except hydride)
National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) Recommended Exposure Limit (REL): 2 mg/m3 TWA
Potential symptoms: Stannosis (benign pneumoconiosis): cough, dyspnea (breathing difficulty), decreased pulmonary function.
Monitoring Methods used by OSHA
Health Effects: Pneumoconiosis (Stannosis) (HE10)
Affected organ: Respiratory system
Note: Cases of stannosis have been reported in men working in the smelter of a tin mine and working in tin recovery from scrap.
Date Last Revised: 10/03/2005
- NIOSH Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards: Tin(II) Oxide (as Sn).
- NIOSH Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards: Tin(IV) Oxide (as Sn).
- International Chemical Safety Cards (WHO/IPCS/ILO): Tin(II) oxide.
- International Chemical Safety Cards (WHO/IPCS/ILO): Tin(IV) oxide.
- Pohanish, R.P. (editor): Tin. In, Sittig's Handbook of Toxic and Hazardous Chemicals and Carcinogens, Fourth Ed., Vol. 2. Norwich, NY: Noyes Publications, William Andrew Publishing, 2002, pp. 2211-2213.
- Sluis-Cremer, G.K., Thomas, R.G., Goldstein, B. and Solomon, A.: Stannosis. A report of 2 cases. S. Afr. Med. J. 75(3): 124-126, 1989.
Laboratory Sampling/Analytical Method:
* All Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
sampling media: tared 37-mm diameter low-ash polyvinyl chloride filter
maximum volume: 960 Liters minimum volume: 480 Liters maximum flow rate: 2.0 L/min
current analytical method: Gravimetric
method reference: OSHA Analytical Method (OSHA PV2121)
method classification: Partially Validated
note: OSHA personnel can obtain tared sampling media from SLTC.
note: If the net weight of the sample yields a concentration below the standard for the substance, SLTC will perform no further work on that sample. If the net weight corresponds to an amount greater than the standard, the sample may be analyzed for the appropriate element and the result reported as the substance.
current elemental analysis method: Atomic Absorption Spectroscopy; AAS
method reference: OSHA SLTC In-House File
method classification: Not Validated
Page last updated: 04/12/2006