The following is additional information on the business case for safety and health from OSHA, other federal and state agencies, other organizations, and other countries.
Related Safety and Health Topics Pages
OSHA Success Stories and Case Studies
OSHA and Abbott Case Studies. Through their Alliance, OSHA and Abbott
worked with the Georgetown University McDonough School of Business to
develop case studies that communicate the business value and competitive
advantages of an effective safety and health program.
OSHA and Graphics Arts Coalition Case Study: "Ritrama Invests in Safety and Improves Its
Bottom Line." OSHA. (2007, June). Ritrama, a multi-national corporation, designed and implemented
a program to educate the managers, supervisors and employees about safe work practices and
company-specific procedures at a manufacturing plant. As a result of the program, the company
reduced its workers' compensation premiums, increased productivity and product quality, and
improved its employee recruitment and retention.
- OSHA and Washington Group International Case Study: "Washington Group
International Designs and Builds a Mixed-Waste Treatment Facility."
OSHA. (2007, February). Through the
OSHA and Washington Group International
Alliance, Washington Group International worked with OSHA to develop this
case study that describes how Washington Group International incorporated
its design for safety process into the construction of the U.S. Department
of Energy’s Advanced Mixed Waste Treatment Facility in eastern Idaho. The
case study reviews the positive impact that designing for safety had on
workplace safety and health at the project.
Voluntary Protection Programs (VPP) Success Stories. Highlight the improved safety and health performance achieved by
participants in OSHA's Voluntary Protection Programs (VPP).
- Business Case for VPP: Experiences at Rohm & Haas Powder Coatings. Rohm &
Hass Power Coatings [203 KB PDF*, 14 pages]. (2004, March 30).
- Business Case for VPP: Experiences at Rohm & Haas Powder Coatings. Rohm & Hass Power Coatings [203 KB PDF*, 14 pages]. (2004, March 30).
OSHA Strategic Partnership Program Success Stories. Highlight the improved safety and health performance achieved by
participants in OSHA’s Strategic Partnership Program.
Small Business Success Stories. Stories about small
businesses that have improved their safety and health programs, including
companies that have participated in OSHA’s Consultation Program and Safety
and Health Achievement Recognition Program (SHARP).
- For additional information, see Success Stories and Case Studies page.
Business Case for Safety. US Department of Energy, Environmental, Safety, and Health.
- Does It Really Work? How to Evaluate Safety and Health Changes in the Workplace. US Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) Publication No. 2004-135, (2004, March).
Safety Pays for Everyone. Maine Department of Labor, SafetyWorks
- Safety Pays Consultation Division. Oklahoma Department of Labor.
- Business Benefits of Safety and Health. England, Health and Safety Executive. Includes case studies showing how businesses have benefited from improving safety and health management.
Accessibility Assistance: Contact the OSHA Directorate of Technical Support and Emergency Management at (202) 693-2300 for assistance accessing PDF materials.
*These files are provided for downloading.