|<< Back to Concluded Regional Alliances - Region VII
ALLIANCE ANNUAL REPORT
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Seward County Community College
September 23, 2005 – September 23, 2006
I. Alliance Background
September 23, 2005
This Alliance focuses on reducing and preventing exposure to work related injuries for oil and gas
industry workers. Through the alliance information, guidance and access to training resources are
provided to SCCC students, business partners and others that will help them protect employees'
health and safety with particular emphasis in oil and gas industry in the southwest region of
The agreement also focuses on a number of goals including:
Training and education:
Outreach and communication:
- Provide OSHA expertise in the development of training and education programs for the oil and gas
industry regarding the recognition and prevention of workplace hazards, and to provide expertise in
communicating such information to employers and employees in these industries.
- Provide OSHA expertise in the development of workplace safety and health curricula on such topics
as the following: Hazard Awareness and Recognition, Benefits of an effective Safety and Health
Program, Effective Safety and Health Training and OSHA Recordkeeping.
Implementation Team Members
- Provide OSHA expertise in developing information on the recognition and prevention of workplace
hazards, and to provide expertise in developing ways of communicating such information (e.g. print
and electronic media, electronic assistance tools and OSHA's and SCCC’s websites) to employers and
- Promote and encourage SCCC students and business partner’s participation in OSHA’s cooperative
programs such as compliance assistance, the Voluntary Protection Program, Consultation and the
Safety and Health Achievement Recognition Program.
- Speak, exhibit or appear at SCCC safety and health conferences, local meetings, conferences and
other appropriate meetings or events.
|Dr. Duane Dunn, President
David K. McDonnell, CAS
|Seward County Community College
Assoc Dean of Educational Services
Director of Business and Industry
OSHA – Wichita Area Offic
09/23/2005 – 09/23/2006
II. Implementation Team Meetings
III. Events and Products
- An implementation meeting was held at SCCC on September 13, 2006. Present at the meeting were
Dale Reed Associate Dean of Educational Services and Reenie Jackson Director of Business and
Industry. Discussed were ways to expand on the alliance including offering sessions such as All
about OSHA and OSHA Recordkeeping. Also discussed was the value
of continued participation and support from OSHA at the annual Gas Compressor Association Conference
and OSHA participation in other SCCC sponsored events. Mr. Reed brought up the recent acquisition
of a local Technical School and the team discussed how that would expand our alliance beyond the
oil and gas industry into youth emphasis in areas such as carpentry, welding, auto body and health care.
Training and Education
Outreach and Communication
- An OSHA Compliance Officer attended the SCCC sponsored Gas Compressor Institute in April 2006
where she spoke on Process Safety Management.
IV. Upcoming Milestones
- Three OSHA Compliance Officers and the CAS from the Wichita Area Office attended training and
spoke on safety and health informally to many attendees of the September 2006 Measurement and
Pipeline Institute sponsored by SCCC.
- The implementation team will be exploring ways to broaden outreach opportunities and increase
the effectiveness of the Alliance through the expansion of SCCC curriculum via their acquisition
of a local Technical School.