Back to Concluded Regional Alliances - Region IV
- Alliance Background
June 10, 2006
OSHA, Deep South Center, Safe State, EAP Lifestyle Management, Thomas Hospital, Infirmary Health
System, Mercy Medical, Community Health Systems and Select Physical Therapy (formerly HEALTHSOUTH)
established an Alliance to provide healthcare workers and others with information, guidance, and
access to training resources that will help them protect employee’s health and safety, particularly
in reducing and preventing exposure to workplace violence issues.
Implementation Team Membership and Contributors:
Members consist of OSHA, Deep South Center (UAB), EAP Lifestyle Management, Thomas Hospital, Safe
State Onsite Consultation Program, Mercy Medical, Community Health Systems and Select Physical
Therapy (formerly HEALTHSOUTH)
Contributors: Same as above.
June 9, 2006, through July 16, 2007
- Implementation Team Meetings:
June 9, 2006, September 8, 2006, December 15, 2006, February 9, 2007, March 16, 2007, April 13,
2007, May 11, 2007, June 1, 2007, June 14, 2007, and July 16, 2007
- Events and Products
Training and Education
- On June 15, 2007, the group conducted a Workplace Violence Symposium on the Montgomery,
Alabama, campus of Auburn University. The event was attended by 65 health care professionals. The
following topics were addressed at the event:
- Workplace Violence Prevention Strategies and Research Needs
- From the Crime Scene to the Emergency Room
- Arm Yourself: Workplace Violence - Education Prevention & Intervention
- Preparing a Workplace Violence Policy & Plan
Outreach and Communication
- Group developed a wallet-size tip card for employees in the health industry, regarding the
prevention workplace violence incidents.
- An article about the June 15, 2007, Workplace Violence Symposium appeared in the Houston Online
- The DVD "Violence of the Job," which was developed by the CDC-NIOSH was distributed to the
- A list of workplace violence prevention resources were distributed to the Alliance members. The
listing included the following resources:
OSHA Workplace Violence page:
OSHA Funded material:
NIOSH Occupational Violence page:
- Workplace Violence Awareness training materials for two hour, four hour and eight hour
presentations, training handbook and posters Auburn University
State OSHA programs:
- Workplace Violence Manual, Hawaii's comprehensive manual that addresses workplace violence
prevention, intervention, and recovery initiatives
- Security Portal for Information System Security Professionals, Workplace Violence Prevention
- International Association of Chiefs of Police, Combating Workplace Violence:
- Alliance members have been selected to participate in the development of the new Hospital
e-tool by OSHA.
Promoting the National Dialogue on Workplace Safety and Health
- In 2006 a billboard funded by the alliance members was installed in Mississippi supporting the
message of work zone safety during rebuilding efforts in the gulf coast.
Refer to the Training and Education events above
- Upcoming Milestones in FY 2008
- Provide training on workplace violence prevention to healthcare workers and others throughout
the State of Alabama.
- Alliance members will provide feedback on the development of material focused on the prevention
of workplace violence for the OSHA Hospital e-tool.
Accessibility Assistance: Contact the OSHA Directorate
of Cooperative and State Programs at 202-693-2200 for assistance accessing DOC and PDF
*These files are provided for downloading.