<< Back to Concluded Alliances
(signed November 12, 2002; renewed April 21, 2004; renewed May 31, 2005; renewed June 14, 2006; concluded November 12, 2006)
- Air Canada
- Airtran Airways
- Alaska Airlines
- American Airlines
- American Trans Air
- Continental Airlines
- Delta Air Lines
- Jetblue Airways
- Midwest Express Airlines
- Southwest Airlines
- United Airlines
- U.S. Airways
- National Safety Council, International Air Transport Section
Through the OSHA and Airline Industry Alliance, the organizations will use their collective expertise to help advance a culture of prevention while sharing best practices and technical knowledge, especially in the area of ergonomics and the issues related to handling passenger checked baggage. The Alliance's goals include:
Training and education:
- Work with OSHA to provide expertise to develop an industry training manual (referred to as a training module in the Alliance signed 11/12/02), for employees on the handling of
checked baggage and make it available, without charge, to the aviation industry, OSHA, and other interested parties.
Outreach and communication:
- Work with OSHA to provide expertise in developing information on the recognition and prevention of workplace hazards, and to provide expertise in developing ways of communicating such
information, e.g. OSHA's Baggage Handling eTool and the Airline Industry Safety & Health Topics page.
Promoting the national dialogue on workplace safety and health:
- Convene or participate in forums, round table discussions, or stakeholder meetings and hare information with interested parties on issues including ergonomics to help
forge innovative solutions in the workplace or to provide input on safety and health issues, including conducting an informational seminar with and disseminating information to
regulatory agencies, international organizations and other interested parties, both domestically and internationally.
Alliance Annual Reports
Alliance News Releases
- OSHA Forms Alliance with Airline
Group. OSHA News Release (2002, November 12).
- Savings and Safety From OSHA Program. Overhaul and Maintenance Magazine Article (2003, August 1).
- Revised eTool For Airline Baggage Handling Helps Workers Avoid Injury. OSHA News Release (2003, September 12).
- Forklift Operations by Young Workers Subject of Safety Initiative -- OSHA, Wage and Hour Division, NIOSH Join Forces to Foster Youth Safety on the Job. OSHA News Release (2004, February 11).
- OSHA, Airline Group Renew Alliance. OSHA News Release (2004, April 27).
- OSHA, Airline Group Renew Alliance. OSHA News Release (2005, June 6).
- OSHA's Alliance with Airline Group Renewed. OSHA News Release (2006, July 5).
- November 5-9, 2006: 2006 National Safety Congress and Expo, San Diego County Convention Center, San Diego, California.
- November 8, 2006: Lee Anne Jillings, Director, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances, Directorate of Cooperative and State Programs, USDOL-OSHA, and airline representatives from
the OSHA/Airline Industry Alliance presented "Baggage Handling in Today's World."
- September 18-22, 2005: National Safety Congress and Expo, Orlando, Florida.
- September 21, 2005: NSC/OSHA/Airlines Ergonomics Alliance, Lee Anne Jillings, Director,
Office of Outreach Services and Alliances, USDOL-OSHA, and airline representatives from the OSHA/Airline Industry Alliance, presented an update of the Alliance.
- September 10-17, 2004: National Safety Congress and Expo, Morial Convention Center, New Orleans, Louisiana.
- September 13, 2004: OSHA/Airlines Industry Ergonomic Alliance [PPT* - 2 MB], Lee Anne Jillings, Director, Office
of Outreach Services and Alliances, USDOL-OSHA, and airline representatives from the OSHA/Airline Industry Alliance, presented an update of the Alliance.
- September 5-12, 2003: National Safety Council Congress and Expo, McCormick Place Convention Center, Chicago, Illinois.
- September 10, 2003: OSHA/Airline Ergonomic Alliance for Baggage Handling [PPT* - 3 MB],
Lee Anne Jillings, Director, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances, USDOL-OSHA, and airline representatives from the OSHA/Airline Industry Alliance, presented a review of the
- September 9, 2003: Update
on Some of OSHA's Recent Activities, John Henshaw, former-Assistant Secretary, USDOL-OSHA, updated the National Safety Council Congress on the recent activities of OSHA. Following
his speech, Mr. Henshaw signed the OSHA/National Safety Council Alliance.
- September 9, 2003: OSHA Updates [PPT* - 8 MB], Paula White, Director, Cooperative and State Programs, USDOL-OSHA,
participated on a panel with other OSHA Directorate heads and updated the attendees on OSHA's cooperative programs, including Alliances, the Voluntary Protection Programs,
Strategic Partnerships, the Safety and Health Achievement Recognition Program and Consultation.
- June 4, 2003: VPP Seminar, Delta Air Lines, Technical Operations, Atlanta, Georgia. As part of the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)/Airlines Industry Alliance,
Delta Air Lines hosted a Voluntary Protection Programs (VPP) Seminar. Representatives from 16 airlines, including American, Jet Blue, United and US Airways, 12 ground-support
business partners and other industries attended the meeting. [More...]
Products and Resources
OSHA Safety and Health Topics Pages
- Airline Industry Alliance Presentation [PPT* - 100 KB] that was developed by the Airline
Industry Alliance to help educate interested parties on the group's action items, projects that are underway and future of the Alliance.
- Health and Safety in Air Transport. Health
and Safety Executive (HSE)
Accessibility Assistance: Contact the OSHA Directorate of Cooperative and State Programs at 202-693-2200 for assistance accessing PPT materials.
*These files are provided for downloading.