<< Back to Concluded Alliances
(signed July 28, 2003; renewed October 10, 2005; concluded July 28, 2006)
Through the Alliance, OSHA and NLBMDA will work together and with other
interested parties to increase overall safety awareness in the lumber and
building materials industry while specifically addressing recordkeeping issues
and reducing or preventing forklift accidents and lifting strains. The Alliance will help raise awareness
of OSHA's recordkeeping requirements by developing and providing information and training resources for
the lumber and building material industry. The Alliance's goals include:
Training and education:
- Develop, while addressing language and literacy issues, training, education programs, and "tool box talks"
on recordkeeping, forklifts, and safe lifting for the lumber and building material industry.
Outreach and communication:
- Develop electronic assistance tools that address recordkeeping issues as
well as safety and health hazards including reducing and preventing forklift
accidents and lifting strains.
- Encourage NLBMDA chapters to build relationships with OSHA's Regional and
Promoting the national dialogue on workplace safety and health:
- Encourage NLBMDA's members to act as industry liaisons and resources for OSHA's cooperative
programs and Compliance Assistance Specialists.
Alliance Annual Reports
Alliance News Releases
Activities and Events
- March 15, 2005: NLBMDA's Legislative Conference of 2005, Hamilton Crowne Plaza Hotel,
Washington, DC. Francis Yebesi, then-Team Leader, Outreach Services and Alliances, Directorate of
Cooperative and State Programs, USDOL-OSHA, gave a presentation about OSHA's compliance assistance
activities. OSHA also had a tabletop exhibit.
- September 30, 2004: Maryland OSHA's Consultation Program, Andrew Alcarese, Project Manager,
Maryland Occupational Safety and Health Consultation Program. Mr. Alcarese spoke to the
NLBMDA's federated association, Eastern Building Material Association, during a chapter meeting in
Rocky Gap, Maryland.
- September 23-25, 2004: NLBMDA and ProSales Industry Summit.
The Breakers, Palm Beach, Florida.
- March 22, 2004: National Legislative Conference of NLBMDA, Washington, DC:
Former-Assistant Secretary, John Henshaw, USDOL-OSHA, spoke to approximately
200 attendees at the conference and update the group on OSHA's goals for 2004,
the benefits of partnerships and Alliances and other ways OSHA can work together
with businesses and industries.
- January 29, 2004: OSHA Update, Clyde P. Payne, CIH, OSHA. Region IV, Area Director, Jackson,
Mississippi. Mr. Payne addressed the NLBMDA's federated association, Mid-South
Building Materials Dealers Association, during a chapter meeting in Natchez,
- October 9-11, 2003: NLBMDA Industry Summit 2003, Indian Wells, California.
Products and Resources
OSHA Safety and Health Topics Pages