<< Back to Concluded Alliances
(signed June 2, 2003; concluded June 9, 2005)
(L-R) OSHA's then-Assistant Secretary, John Henshaw and NHCA President, Tim Bailey sign a national Alliance on June 2, 2003.
(L-R) John Elmore, Chair, NHCA - OSHA Liaison Committee, OSHA's then-Assistant Secretary John Henshaw, Tim Bailey, NHCA President, and Ted Madison, NHCA President-Elect following the signing of the OSHA/NHCA Alliance.
The NHCA Alliance focuses on helping to prevent noise-induced hearing loss (NIHL) from exposure to industrial noise and other environmental factors for all workers. OSHA and NHCA will use their expertise to help advance a culture of good hearing health by developing and implementing Hearing Conservation Programs (HCPs) and Hearing Loss Prevention Programs (HLPPs) while sharing best practices and technical knowledge. The goals of the Alliance include:
Training and education:
- Develop training courses on noise and hearing loss prevention, including a "Train the Trainer Course" for toolbox talks and a program for vocational
Outreach and communication:
- Create and update electronic assistance tools for OSHA's web page that address
noise and hearing conservation for general industry, construction and maritime.
- Design model HCP/HLPPs for the construction and maritime industries.
- Work with other Alliance participants on specific issues and projects for
preventing NIHL that are addressed and developed through the Alliance Program.
Promoting the national dialogue on workplace safety and health:
- Convene or participate in forums, conferences and roundtable discussions on
HCP/HLPPs to help forge innovative ways to prevent hearing loss in the workplace.
- Develop and disseminate information at conferences and events, or through print and
electronic media, including links from OSHA's and NHCA's web sites.
Alliance Annual Reports
Alliance News Releases
Activities and Events
- February 16-18, 2006: NHCA 31st Annual Conference, Hyatt Regency Tampa, Tampa, Florida.
- February 24-26, 2005: NHCA 30th Annual Conference, Doubletree Hotel, Reid Park, Tucson, Arizona.
- February 26, 2004: Neil Davis, Directorate of Standards and Guidance, USDOL-OSHA, Deborah
Gabry, Directorate of Science, Technology and Medicine, USDOL-OSHA, and Carol Stephenson,
CDC/NIOSH, gave a panel presentation entitled, "OSHA Construction Standards and Alliance Update".
- OSHA had an exhibit booth during the conference.
- February 19-21, 2004: NHCA 29th Annual Conference (2004),
- February 20, 2004: Paula White, Director, Directorate of Cooperative and
State Programs, USDOL-OSHA, gave the keynote address to open the conference.
- OSHA/NHCA Alliance
shared an exhibit booth with NIOSH during the conference.
Products and Resources
OSHA Safety and Health Topics Pages