<< Back to Concluded Alliances
(signed July 28, 2004; concluded July 28, 2006)
(L-R) OSHA's then-Assistant Secretary John Henshaw and Tom Hardiman, Executive Director, MBI sign national Alliance on July 28, 2004.
The MBI Alliance focuses on providing the organization's and others in the commercial modular building industry, especially
small businesses, with information, guidance, and access to building training resources that will help them protect
employees' health and safety, by reducing and preventing exposure to industry hazards. OSHA and MBI will focus on safety and
health issues including, material handling, fall protection and trenching and excavation. The Alliance's goals include:
Training and education:
- Work with OSHA to deliver or arrange for the delivery of OSHA's 10-hour Small Contractor course and 10-hour
Outreach and communication:
- Share information among OSHA personnel and industry safety and health professionals regarding MBI's best practices or
effective approaches and publicize results through outreach by MBI and through OSHA- or MBI-developed materials, training
programs, workshops, seminars and lectures (or other applicable forum).
- Work with other Alliance participants on specific issues and projects on commercial modular building industry hazards
such as material handling, fall protection and trenching and excavation that are addressed and developed through the
- Encourage MBI's Regional Regulatory Councils to build relationships with OSHA's Regional and Area Offices, State Plan
States and Consultation Projects to address health and safety issues including material handling, fall protection and
trenching and excavation.
Promoting the national dialogue on workplace safety and health:
- Convene or participate in forums, round table discussions, or stakeholder meetings on commercial modular building
industry hazards such as material handling, fall protection and trenching and excavation to help forge innovative solutions
in the workplace.
Alliance Annual Reports
Alliance News Releases
- June 21-23, 2006: 2006 Government and Military Construction Conference, Arlington, Virginia.
- June 22, 2006: Lee Anne Jillings, Director, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances,
USDOL-OSHA gave a presentation on the Alliance Program and the activities of the OSHA-MBI
Alliance to 35 attendees.
- March 14-16, 2006: MBI 24th Annual Conference, Sawgrass Marriott Resort, Ponte Vedra Beach,
- Joseph Roesler, Compliance Assistance Specialist, Region IV, Jacksonville Area Office,
USDOL-OSHA, staffed the OSHA and MBI Alliance exhibit during the conference.
- March 14, 2006: Joseph Roesler, Compliance Assistance Specialist, Region IV, Jacksonville
Area Office, USDOL-OSHA, gave a presentation, "OSHA's Cooperative Programs," to 15 attendees.
- September 17-23, 2005: 2005 National
Safety Congress & Expo, Orange County Convention Center, Orlando, Florida.
- September 22, 2005: Lee Anne Jillings, Director, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances,
USDOL-OSHA, and Tom Hardiman, MBI, spoke to 25 attendees about training products developed through the
Alliance Program with other Construction-related Alliances in a workshop entitled, "Construction
Related Safety and Health Training," during the National Safety Congress.
- September 14-16,2005: MBI Essentials of Commercial Modular Construction Seminar, Bloomingdale,
- September 15, 2005: Mary Leikness, Consultation Program Manager, OSHA Region V, USDOL-OSHA,
gave a presentation on OSHA's Cooperative Programs to 10 attendees.
- January 27-28, 2005: OSHA Construction 10-Hour Course, Williams Scotsman, Inc, Harmans,
- Michael Buchet, Senior Occupational Safety and Health Specialist, Office of Construction
Services, USDOL-OSHA; Ginger Henry, Occupational Safety and Health Specialist, Office of
Construction Services, USDOL-OSHA; and Danezza Quintero, Occupational Safety and Health
Specialist, Office of Construction Services, USDOL-OSHA, provided an OSHA Construction 10-Hour
course to 20 attendees at MBI member Williams Scotsman, Inc. in Harmans, MD.
- September 23-24, 2004: Regional Training Conference, Hilton Tampa Airport Westshore Hotel, Tampa,
- September 24, 2004: Joan Spencer, Compliance Assistance Specialist, Tampa Area Office,
USDOL-OSHA, gave a presentation to 60 attendees on the OSHA Consultation Program.
- June 17-18, 2004: Regional Training Conference, Harrisburg Hilton & Towers, Harrisburg,
- June 17, 2004: Ernie Warlow, Compliance Assistance Specialist, Harrisburg Area Office, USDOL-OSHA,
gave a presentation to 30 attendees on the OSHA Consultation Program.
Products and Resources