"Do I need to fill out the OSHA Log of Work-Related Injuries and Illnesses?" brochure

OSHA Publication 3169

Which reporting and recordkeeping requirements apply to me?

Reporting fatalities and catastrophes: All employers covered by the Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970 (P.L. 91-596) must report to OSHA any workplace incident resulting in a fatality or the in-patient hospitalization of three or more employees within 8 hours. Call 1-800-321-OSHA (6742) or TTY 1-877-889-5627.

Keeping injury and illness records: If you had 10 or fewer employees during all of the last calendar year or your business is classified in a specific low-hazard retail, service, finance, insurance, or real estate industry, you do not have to keep injury and illness records unless the Bureau of Labor Statistics or OSHA informs you in writing that you must do so.

How can I tell if I am exempt from preparing and maintaining records?

OSHA uses the Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) Code to determine which establishments must keep records. You can search for SIC Codes by keywords or by four-digit SIC to retrieve descriptive information of specific SICs in OSHA's online North American Industry Classification System Search, available on OSHA's website at: http://www.osha.gov/oshstats/naics-manual.html. Establishments classified in the below SICs are exempt from most of the recordkeeping requirements, regardless of size. Establishments exempt from preparing and maintaining records are still required to report fatalities and catastrophes to OSHA.

525 Hardware Stores
542 Meat and Fish Markets
544 Candy, Nut, and Confectionary Stores
545 Dairy Products Stores
546 Retail Bakeries
549 Miscellaneous Food Stores
551 New and Used Car Dealers
552 Used Car Dealers
554 Gasoline Service Stations
557 Motorcycle Dealers
56 Apparel and Accessory Stores
573 Radio, Television, and Computer Stores
58 Eating and Drinking Places
591 Drug Stores and Proprietary Stores
592 Liquor Stores
594 Miscellaneous Shopping Goods Stores
599 Retail Stores, Not Elsewhere Classified
60 Depository Institutions (Banks and Savings Institutions)
61 Nondepository Institutions (Credit Institutions)
62 Security and Commodity Brokers
63 Insurance Carriers
64 Insurance Agents, Brokers, and Services
653 Real Estate Agents and Managers
654 Title Abstract Offices
67 Holding and Other Investment Offices
722 Photographic Studios, Portrait
723 Beauty Shops
724 Barber Shops
725 Shoe Repair and Shoeshine Parlors
726 Funeral Service and Crematories
729 Miscellaneous Personal Services
731 Advertising Services
732 Credit Reporting and Collection Services
733 Mailing, Reproduction, and Stenographic Services
737 Computer and Data Processing Services
738 Miscellaneous Business Services
764 Reupholstery and Furniture Repair
78 Motion Picture
791 Dance Studios, Schools, and Halls
792 Producers, Orchestras, Entertainers
793 Bowling Centers
801 Offices and Clinics of Medical Doctors
802 Offices and Clinics of Dentists
803 Offices of Osteopathic Physicians
804 Offices of Other Health Practitioners
807 Medical and Dental Laboratories
809 Health and Allied Services, Not Elsewhere Classified
81 Legal Services
82 Educational Services (Schools, Colleges, Universities, and Libraries)
832 Individual and Family Services
835 Child Day Care Centers
839 Social Services, Not Elsewhere Classified
841 Museums and Art Galleries
86 Membership Organizations
87 Engineering, Accounting, Research, Management, and Related Services
899 Services, Not Elsewhere Classified

*As of 12/1/2012

What do I have to do if I am not exempt from preparing and maintaining records?

Employers not exempt from OSHA's recordkeeping requirements must prepare and maintain records of work-related injuries and illnesses. You need to review Title 29 of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Part 1904-"Recording and Reporting Occupational Injuries and Illnesses," to see exactly which cases to record. * Use the Log of Work-Related Injuries and Illnesses (Form 300) to list injuries and illnesses and track days away from work, restricted, or transferred. * Use the Injury and Illness Report (Form 301) to record supplementary information about recordable cases. You can use a workers' compensation or insurance form, if it contains the same information. * Use the Summary (Form 300A) to show totals for the year in each category. The summary is posted from February 1 to April 30 of each year.

What's so important about recordkeeping?

Recordkeeping is a critical part of an employer's safety and health efforts for several reasons:

  • Keeping track of work-related injuries and illnesses can help you prevent them in the future.

  • Using injury and illness data helps identify problem areas. The more you know, the better you can identify and correct hazardous workplace conditions.

  • You can better administer company safety and health programs with accurate records.

How can I get more information on recordkeeping?

The full preamble and text of the rule is available HERE. If your workplace is in a state operating under an OSHA-approved plan, state plan recordkeeping regulations, although similar to federal ones, may have some more stringent or supplemental requirements such as reporting fatalities and catastrophes. Industry exemptions may also differ. For further information and assistance, you may call OSHA at 1-800-321-OSHA. Teletypewriter (TTY) number is 1-877- 889-5627. Also visit OSHA's website at http://www.osha.gov to get contact information for the following states: Alaska, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, Puerto Rico, South Carolina, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, Virgin Islands, Virginia, Washington, Wyoming. In other states, contact the nearest OSHA Regional Office listed here and ask for the recordkeeping coordinator:

Atlanta(678) 237-0400
Boston(617) 565-9860
Chicago(312) 353-2220
Dallas(972) 850-4145
Denver(720) 264-6550
Kansas City(816) 283-8745
New York(212) 337-2378
Philadelphia(215) 861-4900
San Francisco(415) 625-2547
Seattle(206) 757-6700

U.S. Department of Labor
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
OSHA 3169R