Highlights of OSHA's New Recordkeeping Rule
The Highlights presentation contains a Microsoft PowerPoint® Presentation, a script and handout materials which provide an overview of OSHA's new recordkeeping regulation. The objective of this slide presentation is to present an awareness of some of the key provisions of the new rule and to highlight the major changes from OSHA's former rule. At the end of the training session, the audience should be familiar with major elements of the new regulation.Instructions for Use: This presentation is intended to assist a presenter in providing an overview of the new rule to audiences with a broad knowledge of OSHA's former rule. It does not discuss the rule in detail and does not describe all the requirements or changes in the new regulation. For those audiences requiring a more in-depth presentation on the recordkeeping requirements (e.g., recordkeepers), OSHA is developing a longer program that covers each paragraph of the new rule.
Note: Prior to the presentation, it is suggested that presenters review the latest information on OSHA's recordkeeping page.
In addition, presenters should print copies of OSHA's main Recordkeeping page as a handout to inform audience members of the latest information available on the website.
This package contains a PowerPoint presentation, a script and handouts.
- The PowerPoint presentation requires PowerPoint 2000 or the PowerPoint Viewer.
- The script is labeled with blue bold typeface. For consistency of the message on recordkeeping, it is recommended that this script be followed. The script shows a copy of the PowerPoint slide. Presenter notes associated with that particular slide are referenced in green. For example, it is recommended that the presenter refer the audience to specific handouts at certain times since they will most likely not be able to see the detail on that slide and the handout provides that detail.
- There are five handouts, detailed below, that are recommended for use with this presentation. Each is referred to during the presentation.
Although time requirements vary, this presentation should take approximately one hour.Required Software: PowerPoint® 2000 or PowerPoint® Viewer
Handouts: Suggested handouts for this presentation include:
- OSHA forms package. A copy of the OSHA forms package or the individual OSHA forms 300, 301 and 300A should be provided to audience members, as it is difficult to see the detail of the forms from the presentation.
- Partially Exempt Industries- Non-Mandatory Appendix A to Subpart B.
- Decision Tree for Recording Work-Related Injuries and Illnesses.
- OSHA Fact Sheet on Recordkeeping.
- Most recent OSHA Recordkeeping Page from the OSHA website. (Because recordkeeping information is being updated frequently on the website, presenters should print copies of the main Recordkeeping page shortly before a presentation.)
These materials are intended to be a resource document for presenters and are not a substitute for any of the provisions of the Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970 or for any regulations or standards issued by the US Department of Labor. It is expected that presenters wishing to use these materials will review the 29 CFR 1904 regulation and all handouts prior to any training session.
Materials contained in this document are in the public domain and may be reproduced, fully or partially, without permission of the Federal Government. Source credit is requested but not required.