OSHA News Release - (Archived) Table of Contents|
Region 2 News Release: BOS 2002-238
Tuesday, November 26, 2002
Contact: John M. Chavez
Phone: (617) 565-2075
NEW YORK -- Enhancing safety and health at Puerto Rico construction sites is the object of a unique partnership agreement among the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), the Puerto Rico Occupational Safety and Health Office (OSHO), and the Puerto Rico chapter of the Associated General Contractors (AGC).
According to Patricia K. Clark, OSHA's Regional Administrator for Region II, who was in Hato Rey, Puerto Rico for the November 21st signing, this is the first partnership in the nation where a State Program (PR/OSHO) has joined OSHA as a full partner in all aspects of the agreement.
"This partnership recognizes employers in the construction industry that have exemplary safety and health programs and those committed to reaching the same level," said Clark. "By entering into this partnership, the Puerto Rico AGC membership agrees to commit the resources necessary to ensure employee safety and health in the construction industry. OSHA is pleased to have the opportunity to work with these committed employers and employees."
The AGC's Construction Safety and Health Excellence (CSHEP) Partnership consists of three levels of safety performance. To reach the highest GOLD level, contractors must meet stringent guidelines, including:
- implementing a comprehensive written safety and health program;
- safety personnel who have completed training equivalent to the OSHA 30-hour Construction Outreach Course and field construction supervisory personnel who have completed training equivalent to the AGC Safety Management Course, as well as additional training to achieve designation as a "competent person" in areas such as scaffolding, excavation, crane operations and fall protection;
- employee involvement at all levels of the safety and health program;
- maintaining an injury/illness rate of less than 5.0 (total cases), and
- no willful or repeat safety violations, or fatality resulting in related serious or willful citations, in the last three years.
OSHA's Puerto Rico Area Office is located at the Triple S Plaza Building, Room 5B, 1510 F. D. Roosevelt Avenue, Guaynabo, PR. Area Director Jose A. Carpena can be reached at 787-277-1560. The Puerto Rico Occupational Safety and Health Office is located at 505 Mu?oz Rivera Avenue, Hato Rey, Puerto Rico 00918 and can be reached at (787) 756-1100.
Associated General Contractors is a national association representing approximately 34,000 contractors in over 100 chapters across the country. The Puerto Rico Chapter, which can be reached at 787-781-2200, is made up of over 300 employers.
The information in this release will be made available to sensory impaired individuals upon request. Voice phone: (617) 565-2072. TDD (Telecommunications Device for the Deaf) Message Referral Phone: 800-347-8029.
|OSHA News Release - (Archived) Table of Contents|