Region 2 News Release: NY 164
July 6, 1999
Contact: Chester J. Fultz
YONKERS, NEW YORK STAINLESS STEEL MANUFACTURER CITED BY OSHA
FOR ALLEGED SAFETY VIOLATIONS; $67,050 IN PENALTIES PROPOSED
The U. S. Labor Department's Occupational Safety and Health Administration has cited American Specialties, Inc., of 441 Saw Mill River Road, Yonkers, New York, and proposed penalties of $67,050 against the firm, for twenty-four alleged serious and four alleged other-than-serious violations of OSHA standards. The company has until July 23 to contest the citations.
According to Cathie M. Mannion, OSHA area director, the action results from an inspection of the facility conducted from April 8 through April 19 under a local special emphasis program which targets metal shops for inspections.
Among the alleged serious violations for which OSHA cited the company are:
- -not posting appropriate signs indicating which doors are and are not exits.
- not establishing an adequate written energy control program
- not developing procedures to control potential hazardous energy
- not providing hardware for lockout/tagout operations
- not providing training to employees on how to control hazardous energy.
- not properly guarding and grounding machinery such as mechanical power presses, band saws, lathes, table routers and staple machines.
- not providing proper insulation for flexible electrical cables.
- not periodically inspecting mechanical power presses.
The alleged serious violations carry a total proposed penalty of $67,050.
OSHA also cited the company for not training employees properly in the use of fire extinguishers, not assuring that fire extinguishers were accessible, not properly storing liquid gas containers, and not reporting mechanical power press injuries, four alleged other-than-serious violations.
A serious violation is defined as a condition which exists where there is a substantial possibility that death or serious physical harm can result. An other-than-serious violation is a hazardous condition that would probably not cause death or serious physical harm, but would have a direct and immediate relationship to the safety and health of employees.
The investigation was conducted by OSHA's Tarrytown area office, located at 660 White Plains Road, 4th Floor, Tarrytown, N. Y. Telephone: (914) 524-7510.
# # #
This information will be made available to sensory impaired individuals upon request. Voice phone:
(212) 337-2319; TDD phone: 800-347-8029; OASAM TDD message referral phone number: 800-326-2577.