OSHA News Release - Table of Contents|
OSHA Regional News Brief – Region 5
U.S. Department of Labor
May 3, 2016
Mansfield employer exposes workers to machine, electrical hazards
Employer Name: Edge Plastics Inc., 449 Newman St., Mansfield, Ohio
Citations issued: April 25, 2016
Investigation findings: The U.S. Department of Labor's Occupational Safety and Health Administration issued eight serious and one other-than-serious safety violation to Edge Plastics Inc. Inspectors from the Toledo office found the plastic storage bin maker exposed workers to amputation, falls and electrical hazards at its Mansfield plant.
During its investigation, the agency found the employer:
- Did not de-energize machines prior to maintenance.
- Exposed workers in plastic injection molding operations as guard rails and ladders were inadequate.
- Failed to implement lockout/tag out procedures to prevent unintentional machine starts during service and maintenance such as clearing jams, and adjusting operating parts.
- Violated electrical safe work practices, including not providing personal protective equipment.
- Not training workers adequately in electrical safety related work practices.
Quote: "Common sense safety procedures like powering down equipment and preventing unintentional movement can protect maintenance workers from amputation and other serious injuries," said Kim Nelson, OSHA's area director in Toledo. "Employers like Edge Plastics must review their safety and health procedures and make immediate improvements to protect workers on the job."
Proposed Penalties: $43,200
View Citations here.
To ask questions, obtain compliance assistance, file a complaint, or report amputations, eye loss, workplace hospitalizations, fatalities or situations posing imminent danger to workers, the public should call OSHA's toll-free hotline at 800-321-OSHA (6742) or the agency's Toledo Area Office at 419-259-7542.
# # #
Release Number: 16-777-CHI
U.S. Department of Labor news materials are accessible at http://www.dol.gov. The department's Reasonable Accommodation Resource Center converts departmental information and documents into alternative formats, which include Braille and large print. For alternative format requests, please contact the department at (202) 693-7828 (voice) or (800) 877-8339 (federal relay).
|OSHA News Release - Table of Contents|