OSHA News Release - (Archived) Table of Contents|
OSHA News Release – Region 2
U.S. Department of Labor
Region 2 News Release: 07-1330-NEW/ BOS 2006-237
August 2, 2007
Contact: Ted Fitzgerald
Phone: (617) 565-2074
Free event will stress importance of safety and health at job, at home and on road
TARRYTOWN, N.Y. -- Employers, employees and their families from the Hudson Valley and greater New York City area are invited to attend the Hudson Valley Family Health and Safety Fair to be held Sunday, Sept. 16, from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. EDT, at the Westchester County Center in White Plains, N.Y.
The Department of Labor's Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) is co-sponsoring the free event with the Rochester Institute of Technology OSHA Education Center and the Voluntary Protection Programs Participants-OSHA Alliance. The fair will provide information to help guard against health and safety hazards on the job, at home and on the road. It will feature workshops, health information and screenings, demonstrations, prizes and activities for children.
"This fair is a family-friendly event that seeks to provide attendees with important and useful information to help reduce and prevent illnesses and injuries," said Diana Cortez, director of OSHA's area office in Tarrytown, N.Y.
Among the fair's highlights:
- Safety and health workshops in English and Spanish on chemical and electrical hazards, scaffolding, falls, trenching, machine guarding, traffic, landscaping, fire and tool safety, personal protective equipment, etc.
- Workshops for young employees focusing on permitted and prohibited jobs and work hours, employee rights, and safe work in restaurants, retail and supermarkets.
- Health screenings for blood pressure, diabetes, cholesterol, weight, eyesight and mental health, as well as health and wellness information from area health and human service organizations.
- Information booths and demonstrations by public safety agencies on fire hazards, seat belt use and bike safety, including free car seat exchanges and bike helmets.
- A "one stop" section with booths staffed by federal, state, county and local agencies that will provide employers and employees with useful information about workplace regulations and laws.
- Eligibility for prize drawings for a plasma television, a refrigerator, MP3 players, cell phones and more for those who participate in workshops, informational demonstrations and health screenings.
- Face painting, games and other activities for children.
U.S. Department of Labor releases are accessible on the Internet at www.dol.gov. The information in this news release will be made available in alternate format upon request (large print, Braille, audio tape or disc) from the COAST office. Please specify which news release when placing your request. Call (202) 693-7765 or TTY (202) 693-7755. DOL is committed to providing America's employers and employees with easy access to understandable information on how to comply with its laws and regulations. For more information, please visit www.dol.gov/compliance.
|OSHA News Release - (Archived) Table of Contents|