OSHA News Release - (Archived) Table of Contents|
Region 2 News Release: BOS 2002-173
Tuesday, August 06, 2002
Contact: John M. Chavez
Phone: (617) 565-2075
OSHA ANNOUNCES FIRST PARTNERSHIP IN THE MARITIME INDUSTRY
NEW YORK -- The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) will enter into a partnership with CSX Lines of Puerto Rico, Inc. and the International Longshoremen's Association-Local 1575, to ensure the safety and health of workers during all marine terminal operations at the Main Yard and Segui Terminals in San Juan, P.R.
The partnership signing ceremony will be held on Wed., Aug. 7, 2002, at the company's Operations Building Conference Room at 2:00 pm. Present for the signing ceremony will be Assistant Secretary of Labor John Henshaw. Signatories for OSHA include Region 2 Regional Administrator Patricia K. Clark and the Puerto Rico Area Office Area Director Jose A. Carpena. Signing for CSX Lines of Puerto Rico, Inc. are Vice-President & General Manager Gabriel Serra and Port Manager Richard Rodriguez. Juan Velez, President of ILA-Local 1575, will sign on behalf of the employees.
"This partnership is an example of public and private cooperation that protects America's workers," said Patricia K. Clark. "The partnership demonstrates OSHA's commitment to work cooperatively with employers and employee representatives who make every effort to eliminate hazards and reduce injuries at their work sites."
Under terms of the partnership:
- the company will provide site-specific training and/or information on a monthly basis to the employees' representatives and/or employee members of the safety committee;
- management and employee representatives will be held accountable for their actions relative to safety and health in the workplace.
- not target the job site for a planned or programmed inspection once a verification inspection has been completed;
- conduct unplanned site inspections only in response to reports of imminent danger, fatality or catastrophic accident, or a signed employee complaint; and
- respond to all other complaints, except in cases of serious injuries, by telephone and fax.
The information in this release will be made available to sensory impaired individuals upon request. Voice phone: (617) 565 2072. TDD (Telecommunications Device for the Deaf) Message Referral Phone: 800 347 8029.
|OSHA News Release - (Archived) Table of Contents|