Standard Interpretations - (Archived) Table of Contents|
| Standard Number:||1910.1000|
February 23, 1996
MEMORANDUM: REGIONAL ADMINISTRATORS FROM: STEPHEN MALLINGER Acting Director Directorate of Technical Support SUBJECT: Errors in 29 CFR 1910.1000, Tables Z-1 and Z-3A number of errors were recently identified by the field and National Office staffs in the 1994 edition of 29 CFR 1910.1000 (Tables Z-1 and Z-3) and were brought to the attention of the Directorate of Technical Support, Office of Science and Technology Assessment. These errors are listed below.
Table Z-1 entries:
(1) Cyanides (as CN)
- This entry requires an "x" notation in the "skin designation"
(2) 1,2 - Dibromo-3-chloropropane (CBCP)
- The acronym (CBCP) is incorrect. It should read DBCP.
- The entry for endosulfan and its corresponding PEL should be
deleted. The PEL listed is a carry-over from the "Final Rules" of the 1989
Air Contaminants Standard (29 CFR 1910.1000) which was vacated by the U.S.
Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit. This substance was not listed in the air
contaminant tables when OSHA adopted the consensus standards on May 29, 1971
(36 FR 10466) and consequently is not currently regulated.
- The entries for perlite (respirable and total dust) and their
corresponding PELs should be deleted. The entries are a carry-over from the
"Final Rules" of the 1989 Air Contaminants Standard (29 CFR 1910.1000) which
was vacated by the U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit.
- OSHA formerly regulated perlite under the generic nuisance dust
limits of 15 mg/m(3) total dust and 5 mg/m(3) respirable fraction.
Consequently, perlite is currently regulated under the entry "particulates
not otherwise regulated."
(5) 2,4,6 - Trinitrophenyl; see Picric acid
- The spelling of Trinitrophenyl is incorrect. It should read
(6) Uranium (insoluble compounds)
- The PEL listing of 0.05 mg/m(3) is incorrect. The correct value
is 0.25 mg/m(3).
Table Z-3 entries:
(1) Coal Dust
- The formula for the PEL for coal dust with less than 5% quartz (respirable
fraction) is incorrectly listed as:
2.4 mg/m(3) -------------------- % SiO(2) + degrees 2
- The PEL for coal dust with a respirable quartz fraction of less than 5%
should be 2.4 mg/m(3).
- We request that the above information be forwarded to all area offices. The
Director of Health Standards will take steps toward correcting the above
noted errors. The corrections will ultimately be published in the Federal
- If you have any questions, please contact Mr. Ira Wainless or Mr. MacArthur
Cheeks, members of my staff, at (202) 219-7056.
|Standard Interpretations - (Archived) Table of Contents|