Powered by GoogleTranslate

Occupational Safety and Health Administration OSHA

Inspection Detail

Violation Summary
Serious Willful Repeat Other Unclass Total
Initial Violations 1 2 3
Current Violations 3 3
Initial Penalty $22,500 $0 $0 $5,935 $0 $28,435
Current Penalty $0 $0 $0 $5,750 $0 $5,750
FTA Amount $0 $0 $0 $0 $0 $0

Violation Items
# ID Type Standard Issuance Abate Curr$ Init$ Fta$ Contest LastEvent
  1. 01001 Other 342 A 01/22/2013 01/25/2013 $5,000 $5,000 $0 02/05/2013 F - Formal Settlement
  2. 01002 Other 3203 A07 01/22/2013 02/09/2013 $0 $935 $0 02/05/2013 F - Formal Settlement
  3. 02001 Other 2943 D03 01/22/2013 02/09/2013 $750 $22,500 $0 02/05/2013 F - Formal Settlement

Accident Investigation Summary
Summary Nr: 202587648 Event: 07/27/2012Electric Shock - Direct Contact With Energized Parts
On July 27, 2012, Employee #1 was working for the Canus Corporation. He was a field inspector for the work being performed by another subcontractor on electrical utilities and equipment belonging to the electric utility Pacific Gas & Electric. The incident occurred in a residential area where electrical crews were working on conduits between existing transformers. The worksite was a transformer designated as PG&E transformer #T1407 in the front yard of an address in Livermore, CA. At the time of the incident, members of the field crew from another subcontractor employer were blowing a pull tape southward a few hundred feet, through an electrical conduit leading from a pull box to the north, into transformer #T1407. The pull tape was to be left in the conduit, and at a future date, another crew would come through and pull new wires through the conduit. Employee #1 was standing next to the transformer. Employee #1 wanted to make sure that the air being blown through the conduit didn't force debris into the transformer, so he placed two pieces of 2-inch by 6-inch (50-millimeter by 150-millimeter) lumber near the open edge of the conduit. When he heard the end of the pull tape come through, he waved to the crew to discontinue blowing air. Looking into the transformer, he couldn't see the end of the pull tape (the "parachute"). Employee #1 then removed the two pieces of lumber and reached into the transformer with his right hand to find the pull tape and verify that it had come through the conduit successfully. Upon reaching into the transformer, Employee #1 received an electrical shock. In addition, he sustained a second-degree burn to his upper right arm, a first-degree burn on his back, and slight marks around his chest, resulting from incidental contact with conductors energized at 12 kilovolts. The injury resulted in a two-night stay in the hospital. The main causal factor for the injury was a lack of appropriate personal protective equipment and other safeguards, and lack of training by the employer. The injury was reported by the Livermore-Pleasanton Fire Department to the Division that same day.
Keywords: burn, e gi ii, protective clothing, electrical, ppe, conduit, elec utility work, electric conductor, electric shock, transformer
Inspection Degree Nature Occupation
1 315318865 Hospitalized injury Electric Shock Inspectors and compliance officers except constr.

Thank You for Visiting Our Website

You are exiting the Department of Labor's Web server.

The Department of Labor does not endorse, takes no responsibility for, and exercises no control over the linked organization or its views, or contents, nor does it vouch for the accuracy or accessibility of the information contained on the destination server. The Department of Labor also cannot authorize the use of copyrighted materials contained in linked Web sites. Users must request such authorization from the sponsor of the linked Web site. Thank you for visiting our site. Please click the button below to continue.