Powered by GoogleTranslate

Occupational Safety and Health Administration OSHA

Accident Report Detail

Accident: 82915.015 - Employee Working Alone Found Dead From Unknown Causes

Accident: 82915.015 -- Report ID: 0950635 -- Event Date: 12/28/2015
InspectionOpen DateSICEstablishment Name
1123101.01501/23/2016Rrassk Services Inc
At 11:00 a.m. on December 28, 2015, Employee# 1 was working at a residential home that was in the process of being remodeled. One of the tasks was to install/replace the stove, two (2) water heaters and a furnace. These newer appliances would require a higher demand of gas than was previously used. This meant that the current half (1/2) inch gas line needed to be replaced with a one and a quarter (1-1/4) inch line to bring it up to code. Employee# 1 was assigned to go to the house and test the completed gas line for any leaks before the city inspector tested it. However, per the homeowner, Employee# 1 performed the actual installation of the gas line by himself. The gas meter was located in the Northeast corner of the house and next to the meter was an opening approximately twenty-three (23) inches wide and sixteen (16) inches in height that was used to enter and exit the crawlspace underneath the house were the gas line was located. Employee# 1 completed a portion of the gas line that extended from the meter to back part of the house, which included the installation of "T-couplings" in order to connect the water heater and furnace. The homeowner left the site at approximately 1:00 p.m. and the homeowner's friend did not leave until approximately 3:30 pm. Employee# 1 stayed and continued working. At approximately 4:30 p.m., Employee# 1 contacted his wife via telephone and told her he was starting to feel sleepy from going in and out of the house. Since Employee# 1 lives over eighty (80) miles from the jobsite, he decided to wait until traffic dies down and then head home. It was then mentioned that a neighbor saw Employee# 1 leave the site and came back with food at approximately 5:15pm. At approximately 7:00 p.m., the wife called Employee# 1, but there was no answer. After making several attempts to contact Employee# 1, she proceeded to contacted the employer in order to obtain the jobsite address because she was worried. The employer called the homeowner to see if he could get a hold of Employee# 1. Between 8:30-9:00 p.m., the homeowner called 911 and requested they check on Employee# 1 at the jobsite because there is no one else there and Employee# 1 did not pick up his phone. At approximately 10:47 p.m., the Sheriff's Department dispatched a unit to conduct a welfare check at the residence. Upon arrival, there were several other deputies who were present. Employee# 1 appeared to be unconscious and not breathing. Employee# 1 was pronounced deceased at 11:00 pm.
Keywords: unconsciousness, natural gas, crawl space
Employee # Inspection Age Sex Degree Nature Occupation Construction
1 1123101.015 49 M Fatality Other Carpenters FallDist:
FatCause: Lifting operations

Thank You for Visiting Our Website

You are exiting the Department of Labor's Web server.

The Department of Labor does not endorse, takes no responsibility for, and exercises no control over the linked organization or its views, or contents, nor does it vouch for the accuracy or accessibility of the information contained on the destination server. The Department of Labor also cannot authorize the use of copyrighted materials contained in linked Web sites. Users must request such authorization from the sponsor of the linked Web site. Thank you for visiting our site. Please click the button below to continue.