May 7, 2015
Contact: Office of Communications
Secretary of Labor appoints members to the Federal Advisory Council on
Occupational Safety and Health
WASHINGTON – Secretary of Labor Thomas E. Perez recently appointed six members to serve on the Federal Advisory Council on Occupational Safety and Health.
FACOSH advises the Secretary of Labor on all matters relating to the occupational safety and health of federal employees. This includes providing advice on how to reduce the number of injuries and illnesses in the federal workforce and how to encourage each federal executive branch department and agency to establish and maintain effective occupational safety and health programs.
The following members are newly-appointed and will serve through Dec. 31, 2017:
- Dr. Gary Wayne Helmer, chief, safety division, National Transportation Safety Board -federal agency management representative
- Dr. Patricia R. Worthington, director, Office of Health and Safety, Office of Health, Safety and Security, U.S. Department of Energy - federal agency management representative
The following members were reappointed and will serve through Dec. 31, 2017:
- Catherine Emerson, chief human capital officer, U.S. Department of Homeland Security - federal agency management representative
- Dr. Richard S. Williams, chief health and safety officer, National Aeronautics and Space Administration - federal agency management representative
- Gregory Junemann, international president, International Federation of Professional and Technical Engineers - labor representative
- Milagro Rodriguez, occupational health and safety specialist, American Federation of Government Employees - labor representative
Under Section 19 of the Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970 and Executive Order 12196, the head of each agency is responsible for providing safe and healthful workplaces for their employees. OSHA's role is to ensure these conditions for all federal employees by setting and enforcing standards, and providing training, education and assistance. For more information, visit www.osha.gov.
U.S. Department of Labor news materials are accessible at http://www.dol.gov. The department's Reasonable Accommodation Resource Center converts departmental information and documents into alternative formats, which include Braille and large print. For alternative format requests, please contact the department at (202) 693-7828 (voice) or (800) 877-8339 (federal relay).