Archive Notice - OSHA Archive

NOTICE: This is an OSHA Archive Document, and may no longer represent OSHA Policy. It is presented here as historical content, for research and review purposes only.

Department of Labor Logo
OSHA News Release
Region 7

Please note: As of January 20, 2021, information in some news releases may be out of date or not reflect current policies.

Oct. 2, 2014

Struck-by vehicle incidents cause 15 percent of
workplace fatalities in Kansas, Missouri, Iowa and Nebraska
OSHA continues outreach campaign to educate employers, workers in region

KANSAS CITY, Mo. – In the past five years, 15 percent of all workplace fatalities investigated by the Kansas City Regional Office of the U.S. Department of Labor's Occupational Safety and Health Administration have involved vehicle accidents that struck employees in the workplace.

Struck-by injuries and fatalities are caused by conventional vehicles, forklifts, semitrucks and other moving industrial equipment, such as cranes and yard trucks. OSHA is continuing its Regional Emphasis Program in Missouri, Iowa, Kansas and Nebraska with the goal of educating employers and workers about the hazards associated with these vehicles and preventing tragic incidents. The REP is intended to address hazards associated with the operation of motorized equipment in construction, general and maritime industries.

"Fatalities occurring from vehicles striking workers are senseless and preventable," said Marcia Drumm, acting regional administrator for OSHA in Kansas City. "This REP allows OSHA inspectors to evaluate compliance with associated standards when conducting all inspections and focus on these real dangers."

Of the 37 vehicle-related fatal incidents inspected by the OSHA Kansas City Region during fiscal years 2008 through March 2013, 57 percent involved a vehicle striking another worker. In the remaining 43 percent, the operator was the victim.

More than one-third of the incidents involved either forklifts or semitrucks, and fatalities occurred across industries and company sizes. Seventy percent of the fatal incidents occurred at general industry work sites, while 24 percent happened in construction. Nineteen percent of the struck-by-vehicle fatalities were at employers with 10 or fewer employees; 46 percent were at midsize companies with 11-100 employees; and the remaining 35 percent were at larger employers with more than 100 employees.

In addition to inspections following up on complaints and referrals received regarding these vehicles, the REP allows continued evaluation of compliance with all applicable vehicle-related standards during any OSHA inspections in the Kansas City Region.

The OSHA Web page has some guidance related to addressing struck-by hazards. Electronic copies of other guidance materials and limited printed copies can be obtained free by contacting OSHA's offices in St. Louis at 314-425-4249; Wichita, Kansas, at 316-269-6644; Kansas City at 816-483-9531; Omaha, Nebraska, at 402-553-0171; or Des Moines, Iowa, at 515-284-4794. Please request to speak with the duty officer and reference the "Evaluate Your Entire Surroundings," or E.Y.E.S campaign, when ordering.

REPs are enforcement strategies designed and implemented at the regional and/or area office levels. These programs are intended to address hazards in industries that pose a particular risk to workers in a defined jurisdictional area. These REPs are accompanied often by outreach intended to make employers in the area aware of the program, as well as the hazards that the programs are designed to reduce or eliminate.

Under the Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970, employers are responsible for providing safe and healthful workplaces for their employees. OSHA's role is to ensure these conditions for America's working men and women by setting and enforcing standards, and providing training, education and assistance. For more information, visit

Media Contacts:

Scott Allen
Rhonda Burke

Release Number: 14-1887-KAN

# # #

U.S. Department of Labor news materials are accessible at The department's Reasonable Accommodation Resource Center converts departmental information and documents into alternative formats, which include Braille and large print. For alternative format requests, please contact the department at (202) 693-7828 (voice) or (800) 877-8339 (federal relay).