Sept. 28, 2015
OSHA cites gun range for workplace lead, arsenic exposure
Employer name: Kremer's Guns LLC, Celina, Ohio
Citations received: Sept. 26, 2015
Investigation findings: The U.S. Department of Labor's Occupational Safety and Health Administration's Toledo Area Office cited 23 serious safety violations for exposing workers cleaning the indoor gun range to lead and arsenic hazards. OSHA initiated the inspection after receiving a medical referral indicating that an employee had elevated blood lead levels.
OSHA found the company:
- Overexposed workers to lead.
- Did not monitor worker's exposure to lead and arsenic.
- Failed to train workers on lead, arsenic and chemical hazards.
- Lacked a respiratory protection program.
- Failed to provide protective clothing such as shoe covers.
- Allowed employees to wear work clothing home, potentially exposing others to lead.
- Did not provide showers or a separate lunch facility to prevent lead contamination and ingestion.
- Lacked housekeeping procedures to remove lead and prevent employee exposure.
Quote: "Lead exposure can cause multiple serious health hazards that have life-long consequences - but it's easily preventable," said Kim Nelson, OSHA's area director in Toledo. "Eliminating exposure, using engineering controls and personal protective equipment such as clothing and respirators as well as properly cleaning lead dust and particles can limit worker exposure and prevent them from transporting lead contamination home."
Proposed Penalties: $61,200
View Citations: http://www.dol.gov/opa/media/press/osha/OSHA20151861fs.pdf
To ask questions, obtain compliance assistance, file a complaint, or report workplace hospitalizations, fatalities or situations posing imminent danger to workers, the public should call OSHA's toll-free hotline at 800-321-OSHA (6742) or the agency's Toledo Area Office at 419-259-7542.
# # #
Release Number: 15-1861-CHI
U.S. Department of Labor news materials are accessible at http://www.dol.gov. The department's Reasonable Accommodation Resource Center converts departmental information and documents into alternative formats, which include Braille and large print. For alternative format requests, please contact the department at (202) 693-7828 (voice) or (800) 877-8339 (federal relay).