June 29, 2015
Complaint inspection finds workers exposed to amputation hazards
at Cleveland Die & Manufacturing Company
Employer name: Cleveland Die & Manufacturing Company
Investigation site: 20303 1st Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio
Date citations issued and what prompted inspection: The U.S. Department of Labor's Occupational Safety and Health Administration's Cleveland office issued 11 serious safety and health citations to Cleveland Die & Manufacturing Company. The agency initiated an inspection in March after receiving a complaint alleging unsafe working conditions at the company which manufactures brackets and parts for the automotive industry.
Investigation findings: Investigators cited 11 serious violations at the Ohio facility.
- Exposing workers to operating parts of machinery by failing to install safety mechanisms
- Lack of procedures to ensure equipment was de-energized to prevent it from operating during service and maintenance such as the changing of dies
- Personal protective equipment such as arc-rated clothing and voltage rated gloves as well as face protection not provided
- Hooks and wire ropes were not inspected as required.
- Employees were not trained about the hazardous chemicals used in the workplace.
- The company lacked a hearing conservation program and failed to implement engineering controls to reduce noise exposure.
"Lack of safety mechanisms on machines continues to be among the most frequently cited OSHA violations and that is unacceptable," said Howard Eberts, OSHA's area director in Cleveland. "Each year thousands of workers suffer injuries and illness that can affect their ability to earn a living. Cleveland Die & Manufacturing needs to make immediate improvements to ensure their workers are protected on the job."
Proposed Penalties: $59,400
To ask questions, obtain compliance assistance, file a complaint, or report workplace hospitalizations, fatalities or situations posing imminent danger to workers, the public should call OSHA's toll-free hotline at 800-321-OSHA (6742) or the agency's Cleveland Area Office at 216-447-4194.
# # #
Release Number: 15-1228-CHI
U.S. Department of Labor news materials are accessible at http://www.dol.gov. The department's Reasonable Accommodation Resource Center converts departmental information and documents into alternative formats, which include Braille and large print. For alternative format requests, please contact the department at (202) 693-7828 (voice) or (800) 877-8339 (federal relay).