Fee Schedule (Effective March 28, 2011)12
|Type of Service||Activity or Category
(fee charged per application unless noted otherwise)
Fee Amount for:
Fee Amount for:
|APPLICATION PROCESSING||Initial application review1, 8||See note 7||$17,750|
|Expansion-application review (per additional site)1, 8||$3,420||$8,280|
|Renewal or expansion (other) application review1||$300||$300|
|Renewal information review fee7||$1,470||$2,370|
|Additional review – initial application (if the application requires substantial revision, submit one-half of initial-application review fee)7||$2,370||$2,370|
|Additional review – renewal or expansion application7||$730||$730|
|Limited review – initial application7||$1,170||$3,550|
|Assessment – initial application (per person, per site – first day)2, 10||$2,740 + travel expenses||$4,440 + travel expenses|
|Assessment – renewal application (per person, per site - first day)3, 10||$2,570 + travel expenses||$4,140 + travel expenses|
|Assessment – expansion application (additional site) (per person, per site - first day)3||$2,200 + travel expenses||$3,550 + travel expenses|
|Assessment – expansion application (other) (per person, per site - first day)3||$1,830 + travel expenses||$2,960 + travel expenses|
|Assessment – each additional day or each day on travel (per person, per site)2, 3||$730 + travel expenses||$1,180 + travel expenses|
|Review and evaluation5 ($30 per standard if already recognized for NRTLs and requires minimal review; otherwise, $296 per standard)||$30 per standard OR $296 per standard||$30 per standard OR $296 per standard|
|Final report and Federal Register notice – initial application5, 9||$12,080||$19,520|
|Final report and Federal Register notice – renewal or expansion application (if OSHA performs on-site assessment)5, 9||$4,580||$7,390|
|Final report and Federal Register notice – renewal or expansion application (if OSHA performs no on-site assessment)5, 9||$2,740||$4,440|
|AUDITS||On-site audit (per person, per site, first day)6 ($3,260 – no nonconformances)||$4,240 + travel expenses|
|On-site audit (per person, per site, first day)6 ($4,440 – no nonconformances)||$7,400 + travel expenses|
|On-site audit – each additional day (on-site or on travel) (per person, per site); or review of revised audit response – per on-site or office audit6||$730 + travel expenses||$1,180 + travel expenses|
|Office audit (per person, per site, per day)6 – $730 if no nonconformances, $1,120 if nonconformances found||$730 or $1,120|
|Office audit (per person, per site, per day)6 – $1,180 if no nonconformances, $2,370 if nonconformances found||$1,180 or $2,370|
|MISCELLANEOUS||Supplemental travel (per site – for sites located outside the 48 contiguous U.S. states or the District of Columbia)4||$1,000||$1,000|
|Supplemental program review (per program requested)4||$270||$590|
|Invoice processing fee (per application or audit)4||$300||$300|
|Travel document processing (4 hours, per application or audit)4||$270||$590|
|Compensatory time for travel (per hour)10||$56.40||$56.40|
*Column headings updated on June 14, 2012, to clarify when each column applies.
Notes to OSHA Fee Schedule for NRTLs:
- Must I pay the application-review fees, and when must I pay these fees? If you are applying for initial recognition as an NRTL, and OSHA receives your application on or after the effective date of this fee schedule, you must pay the initial-application review fee in Column B of the table above when you submit your initial application. Pay this fee as two payments: one equaling the limited-review fee amount, and the remainder of the fee as a second payment. (See note 7 to this fee schedule if you submit your initial application before this schedule's effective date.) If you are an NRTL and applying for an expansion or renewal of recognition, you must pay the expansion-application review fee or renewal-application review fee, as appropriate, and submit this fee concurrently with your expansion or renewal application. See note 7 if you amend or revise your initial or expansion application.
- What assessment fees do I pay for an initial application, and when must I pay these fees? If you are applying for initial recognition as an NRTL, and we accept your application, we bill you for the assessment fee and you must pay it before we perform the assessment. We base the prepaid assessment fee on estimated staff time and travel costs. After completing the actual assessment, we calculate the assessment fee based on the actual staff time and travel costs incurred in performing the assessment. The fee for staff time equals the first-day assessment fee for an initial application, plus the assessment fee for each additional at the site or on travel. (Note: Days charged for being in travel status are those allowed under government travel rules. This note applies to any assessment or audit.) We determine actual travel expenses based on government per diem and other travel rules. We bill or refund the difference between the amount you prepaid and the actual assessment fee. We reflect this difference in the final bill that we send to you for the application
- What assessment fees do I submit for an expansion or renewal application, and when must I pay these fees? If you are an NRTL and applying solely for an expansion or renewal of recognition, you do not submit any assessment fee with your application. If we need to perform an assessment for the expansion or renewal request, we bill you for this fee and you must pay it before we perform the assessment. We will base the prepaid fee on estimated staff time and travel costs. Following the assessment, we will calculate the fee based on the actual staff time and travel costs we incurred in performing the assessment. The fee for staff time equals the first-day assessment fee for the particular type of application, plus the assessment fee for each additional at the site or on travel. We determine actual travel expenses based on government per diem and other travel rules. OSHA charges the NRTL the first-day fee only once if OSHA audits multiple sites of the NRTL during one trip. We bill or refund the difference between the prepaid amount and the amount of the final invoice that we send to you for the application.
- When do I pay the supplemental travel, the supplemental program review, the invoice processing fees, or the travel document processing fee? You must pay the supplemental travel fee when you submit an initial application for recognition and the site you identified for recognition is outside the 48 contiguous U.S. states or the District of Columbia. The current supplemental travel fee is $1,000. We factor in this prepayment when we bill for the actual costs of the assessment, as described in note 2 above. See note 8 for possible refund of application or assessment fees. You must pay the supplemental program-review fee when you apply for approval to use other qualified parties or facilities to perform specific activities. See Chapter 2 of the NRTL Program Directive for more information regarding supplemental programs. We will include the invoice-processing fee in the total for each of our invoices to you. You must pay the travel document processing fee in advance to cover the costs of arranging and obtaining reimbursement for travel, which we generally include in the first-day fee for assessments and audits. We charge this fee for additional sites of the NRTL visited during one trip. We also charge this fee separately for trips to a location when the preparation time for the trip is minimal; for example, trips to a site that the NRTL qualified to perform specific or limited testing or certification activities for the NRTL.
- When do I pay the review and evaluation, and the final report and Federal Register notice, fees? An applicant or an NRTL also must pay these fees in advance of OSHA performing the assessment for the application. We calculate the review and evaluation fee at the rate of $30 per test standard requested for those standards that OSHA previously recognized for any NRTL and that require minimal review or do not represent a new area of testing for the NRTL. Otherwise, this fee is $296 per standard requested.
- When do I pay the audit fee? Each NRTL must pay this fee (on-site or office, as deemed necessary) in advance of OSHA commencing the audit, and we calculate this prepaid fee based on estimated staff time and travel costs. Following the audit, we will calculate the fee based on actual staff time and travel costs incurred in performing the audit. We charge the first-day audit fee at the rate of $4,240 for the first day at the site if the audit finds nonconformances or observations requiring a response,. If the audit finds none, OSHA will credit the NRTL's account to reduce the fee to $3,260. In addition, we charge $730 for each additional day at the site, and $730 for each day in travel, plus actual travel expenses for each auditor. We also charge at the rate of $730 per day to review the NRTL's revised or supplemental response when its original response did not adequately resolve all the nonconformances documented in OSHA's audit report. OSHA charges the NRTL the first-day fee only once if OSHA audits multiple sites of the NRTL during one trip. However, see note 4 above. We determine actual travel expenses based on government per diem and other travel rules. We may add any underpayment(s) or credit any overpayments to the invoice for a future audit of the NRTL's site. For an office audit, we charge $730, per site, per person, per day, if the audit finds no nonconformances, and $1,120, if we find nonconformances or observations requiring a response. When the NRTL's response does not adequately resolve the nonconformances, the $730 per-day fee also applies to review the NRTL's revised or supplemental response.
- When do I pay the additional review fee, renewal information review fee, or limited review fee? The additional review fee covers the staff time required to review new or modified information submitted after we completed our preliminary review of an application. There is no charge for review of a "minor" revision, which entails modifying or supplementing less than approximately 10% of the documentation in the application. You must pay the additional review fee when submitting revisions modifying or supplementing from 10% to 50% of the documentation. For a new application, the fee represents 16 hours of additional review time, and for a renewal or expansion application, the fee represents 8 hours of additional review time. If you exceed that 50% threshold when submitting revised documentation for your application (i.e., you substantially revise your application), you must pay half of the initial-application review fee ($4,635, if a pending applicant; $8,875 if a new applicant), the expansion-application review fee for adding a site , or the renewal- or expansion (other)-application fee , as applicable. If this latter fee applies, you also must pay review and evaluation fee ($296) for each test standard affected by the revision. The renewal information review fee applies when an NRTL submits updated information to OSHA in connection with a request for renewal of recognition. You must pay the additional review or renewal information review fee when submitting the additional or updated information. The limited review fee covers the time to review and return a new application that we find to be substantially deficient. OSHA deducts this fee from any refund due to the applicant.
- When and how can I obtain a refund for the fees that I paid? If you withdraw an initial application, or an expansion application for an additional site, after we commenced but before completing the full review, we will refund half of the application review fee. If you withdraw your application before we commence travel to your site to perform the on-site assessment, we will refund any prepaid assessment fees, or credit your account. We also will credit your account for any amount of the prepaid assessment or audit fees collected that is greater than the actual cost of the assessment. If the limited review fee applies (i.e., we return the application), we will refund the balance of the initial-application review fee (i.e., the amount in excess of the limited review fee). If an organization is no longer part of the NRTL Program, we will refund any funds collected in excess of all actual costs incurred through the date of termination. Other than these cases, we do not generally refund or grant credit for any other fees due or collected.
- Am I still liable for any fees even if OSHA rejects my application or terminates my recognition? If we reject your application, we will retain the fees pertaining to tasks we performed. For example, if we perform an assessment for an expansion application but deny the expansion, we will retain your prepaid assessment fee. Similarly, we will retain the final report and Federal Register fee if we wrote the report and published the notice. See note 11 below for the consequences of nonpayment.
- What rate does OSHA use to charge for staff time (including Comp Time)? OSHA estimated an equivalent staff cost per hour that it uses for determining the fees shown in the fee schedule. This hourly rate takes into account the costs for salary, fringe benefits, equipment, contract services, supervision and support for each "direct staff" member, that is, the staff that performs the main activities identified in the fee schedule. The rate is an average of these amounts for each of these direct staff members. The current estimated equivalent staff costs per hour = $147.90. The hourly rate for Comp Time is based on the direct staff average salary and fringe costs only ($56.40). OSHA also will charge this rate for any other OSHA staff travel time in excess of the staff's normal 40-hour work week. (For more information about Compensatory Time, see additional explanation in section VIII of this notice ("Major Changes to the Fee Schedule").)
- What happens if I do not pay the fees you bill to me? As explained above, if you are an applicant, we will send you a final bill (for any assessment and for the fees related to the review and evaluation, and the final report and Federal Register notice) in advance of the assessment. If you do not pay the bill by the due date, we will assess the Late Payment fee shown in Column B of the table above . This late-payment fee represents one hour of staff time at the equivalent staff cost per hour (see note 10). We also will halt any work on your application. If we do not receive payment within 30 days of the original due date, we will cancel your application. If you do not pay the prepaid fee for an audit by the due date, we will assess the late-payment fee shown in Column B of the table above. However, OSHA may decide to proceed with the audit. If we do not receive payment within 30 days of the original due date for an audit fee, we will publish a Federal Register notice stating our plan to revoke your NRTL recognition. However, note that, in either case, you may be subject to collection procedures under U.S. (Federal) law.
- How do I know whether this is the most current fee schedule? You may contact OSHA's NRTL Program (202-693-2110 or 2300) or visit the program's Web site to determine the effective date of the most current fee schedule. Access the site by selecting "N" in the alphabetical Index at www.osha.gov. Any application-review fees are those fees in effect on the date you submit your application. Other application-processing fees are those fees in effect when we perform the activity covered by the fee. Audit fees are those fees in effect on the date we begin the audit.