<< Back to Chemical Sampling Information
Synonyms: Flowers of sulfur; Flour sulfur; Brimstone
OSHA IMIS Code Number: S101
Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS) Registry Number: 7704-34-9
NIOSH Registry of Toxic Effects of Chemical Substances (RTECS) Identification Number: WS4250000
Department of Transportation Regulation Number (49 CFR 172.101) and Guide: 1350 133
Chemical Description and Physical Properties:
yellow fine grained powder
molecular weight: 32.06
molecular formula: S
flash point: >180°C (as dust)
Potential Symptoms: Irritation of eyes, skin, throat, respiratory tract; bronchitis, cough, shortness of breath; nausea, headache; dermatitis; INGES ACUTE: Burning sensation; diarrhea.
Health Effects: Nuisance particulate (HE19); Chronic toxicity---Skin sensitization, permanent eye damage (HE3)
Affected Organs: Skin, respiratory system
- Ingestion of a large amount of elemental sulfur may result in production of hydrogen sulfide by intestinal bacteria, as described for cattle and sheep, which may have different toxic effects on them depending upon whether it is inhaled by eructation (belching) of the gas (collapse, sudden death) or absorbed via the intestinal tract (sulfhemoglobinemia, dehydration from diarrhea, apparent blindness).
- A method for estimating inorganic sulfur dietary intake in humans, based upon measurement of 24-hour urinary excretion of nitrogen and sulfate, was published.
- International Chemical Safety Cards (WHO/IPCS/ILO): Sulfur.
- Kandylis, K.: Toxicology of sulfur in ruminants: review. J. Dairy Sci. 67(10): 2179-2187, 1984.
- Magee, E.A., Curno, R., Edmond, L.M. and Cummings, J.H.: Contribution of dietary protein and inorganic sulfur to urinary sulfate: toward a biomarker of inorganic sulfur intake. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 80(1): 137-142, 2004.
- Pohanish, R.P. (editor): Sulfur. In, Sittig's Handbook of Toxic and Hazardous Chemicals and Carcinogens, Fourth Ed., Vol. 2. Norwich, NY: Noyes Publications, William Andrew Publishing, 2002, pp. 2112-2114.
Date Last Revised: 08/05/2004
Primary Laboratory Sampling/Analytical Method (SLC1):
** All Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.