Synonyms: PnP; 1-Propoxy-2-propanol; Propylene glycol monopropyl ether; propylene glycol mono-n-propyl ether; propyl propasol; Dowanol®; Propasol P
OSHA IMIS Code Number: P202
Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS) Registry Number: 30136-13-1
Other Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS) Registry Number: 1569-01-3 (1-Propoxy-2-propanol)
NIOSH Registry of Toxic Effects of Chemical Substances (RTECS) Identification Number: UB9351000
Chemical Description and Physical Properties:
clear, colorless flammable liquid
molecular weight: 116.2
molecular formula: C6H14O2
boiling point: 149°C
flash point: 48°C
Potential Symptoms: In animals: eye and skin irritation (blepharospasm, lacrimation, conjunctival hyperemia; narcosis (ataxia, loss of righting reflex)
Health Effects: Irritation-Eyes---Marked (HE14); Irritation Skin---Moderate (HE15); Narcosis (HE8)
Affected Organs: Eyes, skin, CNS
- OSHA does not have a PEL for any isomers of this chemical.
- Gross pathology of animals dying from high oral (rats) or percutaneous (rabbits) doses of 1-propoxy-2-propanol showed dark red lungs. Oral LD50s were 4.92 ml/kg (males) and 2.83 ml/kg (females). Percutaneous LD50s were 4.29 ml/kg (males) and 4.92 ml/kg (females).
- No fatalities occurred among 10 rats (5 male, 5 female) exposed for 6-hours to a saturated vapor atmosphere (~2230 ppm) of 1-propoxy-2-propanol, but showed signs of eye irritation and narcosis.
- 1-Propoxy-2-propanol is one of the 30 "predominant" VOCs identified by NIOSH in at least one area of a microwave popcorn plant which had eight former workers diagnosed with bronchiolitis obliterans. It is not known whether 1-propoxy-2-propanol contributed to the cause of this lung disease.
- Ballantyne, B., Myers, R.C. and Losco, P.E.: The acute toxicity and primary irritancy of 1-propoxy-2-propanol. Vet. Hum. Toxicol. 30(2): 126-129, 1988.
- Gomaa, A., et al.: NIOSH Investigation of Gilster Mary Lee, HETA #2000-0401, Technical Assistance to Missouri Department of Health. Interim Report, August 22, 2001, 46 pp.
Date Last Revised: 05/15/2006
** All Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.