Synonyms: Caustic potash; Lye; Potassium hydrate
OSHA IMIS Code Number: 2140
Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS) Registry Number: 1310-58-3
NIOSH Registry of Toxic Effects of Chemical Substances (RTECS) Identification Number: TT2100000
Department of Transportation Regulation Number (49 CFR 172.101) and Guide: 1813 154 (dry, solid); 1814 154 (solution)
NIOSH Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards, Potassium Hydroxide: chemical description, physical properties, potentially hazardous incompatibilities, and more
American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH) Threshold Limit Value (TLV): 2 mg/m3 Ceiling
National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) Recommended Exposure Limit (REL): 2 mg/m3 Ceiling
Potential Symptoms: Irritation of eyes, skin, respiratory system; cough, sneezing; eye, skin burns; vomiting; diarrhea; sore throat; labored breathing, shortness of breath; pulmonary edema, pneumonitis; redness, pain, blisters; blurred vision, blindness; sores in nose, perforated septum; INGES ACUTE: Corrosive, burning sensation; epigastric or abdominal pain; hematemesis; shock or collapse
Health Effects: Irritation-Eye, Nose, Throat, Skin---Marked (HE14); Respiratory effects (HE10 and HE11); Acute high risk toxicity by ingestion or immersion (HE4)
Affected Organs: Eyes, skin, respiratory system
- Affirmed by the FDA as a GRAS (generally recognized as safe) Direct Food Substance when used at levels consistent with current good manufacturing practice (21 CFR 184.1631).
- NIOSH Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards: Potassium Hydroxide.
- International Chemical Safety Cards (WHO/IPCS/ILO): Potassium hydroxide.
- Pohanish, R.P. (editor): Potassium Hydroxide. In, Sittig's Handbook of Toxic and Hazardous Chemicals and Carcinogens, Fourth Ed., Vol. 2. Norwich, NY: Noyes Publications, William Andrew Publishing, 2002, pp. 1925-1926.
Date Last Revised: 07/26/2004
Primary Laboratory Sampling/Analytical Method (SLC1):
- sampling media: Mixed Cellulose Ester Filter (MCEF) 0.8 microns
maximum volume: 30 Liters
maximum flow rate: 2.0 L/min (Ceiling)
current analytical method: Atomic Absorption Spectroscopy; AAS
method reference: OSHA Analytical Method (OSHA ID-121)
method classification: Validated
note: Submit as a separate sample. When analysis of the compound is requested, an elemental analysis is performed and reported as the compound.
Wipe Sampling Method:
- sampling media: Whatman smear tab
analytical solvent: Deionized water
** All Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.