Synonyms: o-(2-(Diethylamino)-6-Methyl-4-Pyrimidinyl) o,o-Dimethyl Ester Phosphorothioic Acid; Pyridimine Phosphate; Plant Protection; PP511; Actellifog; Blex; Silosan
OSHA IMIS Code Number: P309
Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS) Registry Number: 29232-93-7
NIOSH Registry of Toxic Effects of Chemical Substances (RTECS) Identification Number: TF1410000
Chemical Description and Physical Properties:
molecular formula: C11H20N3O3PS
molecular weight: 305.37
vapor pressure: 0.015 Pa (1.1×10-4 mmHg) at 30°C
Potential Symptoms: Headache, nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps, diarrhea; dizziness, sweating; extreme weakness, ataxia; miosis, blurred vision; twitching, tremor; slow heart beat; difficulty breathing, tightness in chest, pulmonary edema.
Health Effects: Cholinesterase inhibition (HE6); Chronic toxicity (kidney, liver) (HE3); LD50 (dermal, rabbit) 2128 mg/kg.
Affected Organs: Respiratory system, CNS, cardiovascular system, skeletal muscle (motor endplate)
- Used primarily for grain (corn, wheat) storage. One report indicated sprayer exposure to be predominantly dermal.
- A common biomarker of exposure is the measurement of acetylcholinesterase activity in red blood cells.
- Several liver protease enzymes were inhibited by a single 10 mg/kg dose in rats.
- No chronic inhalation toxicity studies were found in the literature. OSHA does not have a PEL for pirimiphos-methyl.
Date Last Revised: 04/28/2004
- Adamis, Z. Antal, A., Füzesi, I., Molnár, J., Nagy, L. and Susán, M.: Occupational exposure to organophosphorus insecticides and synthetic pyrethroid. Int. Arch. Occup. Environ. Health 56(4): 299-305, 1985.
- Agrisolutions: Material safety data sheet: Actellic® 5E Insecticide. 1999.
- Diwan, S.: Pirimiphos-methyl: toxicology chapter of the registration eligibility document. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Toxicology Branch (HED DOC No. 012554) 1998, 22 pp.
- Mantle, D., Saleem, M.A., Williams, F.M., Wilkins, R.M. and Shakoori, A.R.: Effect of pirimiphos-methyl on proteolytic enzyme activities in rat heart, kidney, brain and liver tissues in vivo. Clin. Chim. Acta 262(1-2): 89-97, 1997.
Laboratory Sampling/Analytical Method:
- sampling media: OSHA Versatile Sampler (OVS-2) - (each OVS-2 sampler contains a glass fiber filter and two sections (270/140 mg, 20/60 mesh) of XAD-2 adsorbent)
analytical solvent: Acetonitrile
maximum volume: 120 Liters
maximum flow rate: 1.0 L/min
current analytical method: Gas Chromatography; GC/ECD
method reference: OSHA Analytical Method (OSHA PV2071)
method classification: Partially Validated
** All Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Accessibility Assistance: Contact the OSHA Directorate of Technical Support and Emergency Management at (202) 693-2300 for assistance accessing PDF materials.