<< Back to Chemical Sampling Information
Synonyms: alpha-(2-(2-Butoxyethoxyl)ethoxy)-4,5-Methylenedioxy-2-Propyltoluene; butyl carbitol 6-propylpiperonyl ether; Butacide; 6-Propylpiperonyl Butyl Diethylene Glycol Ether
OSHA IMIS Code Number: P209
Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS) Registry Number: 51-03-6
NIOSH Registry of Toxic Effects of Chemical Substances (RTECS) Identification Number: XS8050000
Chemical Description and Physical Properties:
molecular formula: C19H30O5
molecular weight: 338.43
flash point: 171°C
International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC): Group 3, not classifiable as to its carcinogenicity to humans
Potential Symptoms: Eye, nose, respiratory, skin irritation; INGES ACUTE: Nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps, diarrhea.
Health Effects: Irritation-Eyes, nose, skin---Mild (HE16).
Affected Organs: Eyes, skin, GI tract
Date Last Revised: 11/08/2004
- OSHA does not have a PEL for piperonyl butoxide.
- Piperonyl butoxide is usually mixed with pyrethrins and related insecticides to inhibit their metabolism by cytochrome P-450 mixed-function oxidases, and thus could inhibit the metabolism of many drugs.
- It is highly toxic to fish and aquatic organisms and bioaccumulates in them, including those consumed as seafood.
- The half-life for urinary excretion of radioactivity from [14C]-piperonyl butoxide in a commercial head lice treatment formulation applied for 30 minutes on human forearm skin is 32 hours.
Laboratory Sampling/Analytical Method:
- International Chemical Safety Cards (WHO/IPCS/ILO): Piperonyl butoxide.
- Prentiss Incorporated: Prentox® Piperonyl Butoxide Technical Material Safety Data Sheet, 1998, 4 pp.
- Wester, R.C., Bucks, D.A.W. and Maibach, H.I.: Human in vivo percutaneous absorption of pyrethrin and piperonyl butoxide. Food Chem. Toxicol. 32(1): 51-53, 1994.
- [No authors listed]: Piperonyl butoxide. IARC Monogr. Eval. Carcinog. Risk Chem. Hum. 30: 183-195, 1983.
- sampling media: OVS-2 Tube (13mm GFF followed by 270/140 mg sections XAD-2 resin)
analytical solvent: Methanol
maximum volume: 30 Liters
maximum flow rate: 1.0 L/min
current analytical method: High Performance Liquid Chromatography; HPLC/UV
method reference: OSHA Analytical Method (OSHA PV2110)
method classification: Partially Validated