Direct Black 38
- OSHA IMIS Code Number: 1012
- Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS) Registry Number: 1937-37-7
- NIOSH Registry of Toxic Effects of Chemical Substances (RTECS) Identification Number: QJ6160000; 50640
- Carcinogenic Classification:
- International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC): Benzidine Based Dyes - Group 1, carcinogenic to humans (PDF)
- National Toxicology Program (NTP): Known to be human carcinogen (PDF)
Monitoring Methods used by OSHA
Primary Laboratory Sampling/Analytical Method (SLC1):
- Glass Fiber Filter (37 mm) without a backup pad
- maximum volume: 100 Liters
- maximum flow rate: 1.0 L/min (TWA)
- current analytical method: High Performance Liquid Chromatography; HPLC/UV/VIS
- method reference: 2 (OSHA In-House File)
- method classification: Partially Validated
- note: Ship with dry ice. Protect samples from light and heat.
Wipe Sampling Method:
- Glass Fiber Filter
- For any dye analysis, a bulk sample of the dye must be sent to the Salt Lake Technical Center. Limit the amount of bulk submitted to one gram or approx. one mL.
Special solvent extraction; u Bondapak C18; 20% B - curve 8 - 30 min to 80% B, A = 0.25 g Na2HPO4, 600 mL water, 400 mL methanol 1.7 g of TBAP, B = 0.25 g Na2HPO4, 250 mL H20, 750 mL methanol, 1.7 g TBAP; 1 mL/min; UV 546, 436; DL = 1.1 µg /sample; C/P DBA
** All Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
*Accessibility Assistance: Contact OSHA's Directorate of Technical Support and Emergency Management at (202) 693-2300 for assistance accessing PDF materials.
All other documents, that are not PDF materials or formatted for the web, are available as Microsoft Office® formats and videos and are noted accordingly. If additional assistance is needed with reading, reviewing or accessing these documents or any figures and illustrations, please also contact OSHA's Directorate of Technical Support and Emergency Management at (202) 693-2300.
**eBooks - EPUB is the most common format for e-Books. If you use a Sony Reader, a Nook, or an iPad you can download the EPUB file format. If you use a Kindle, you can download the MOBI file format.Back to Top