Synonyms: 2-(2-Methoxyethoxy)Ethanol; Methyl Carbitol; Dowanol DM; Poly-Solv DM; Polysolv DM; DGMME; DEGME
OSHA IMIS Code Number: M328
IMIS Name History: 2-(2-Methoxyethoxy)Ethanol prior to 7/26/2005
Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS) Registry Number: 111-77-3
NIOSH Registry of Toxic Effects of Chemical Substances (RTECS) Identification Number: KL6125000
Chemical Description and Physical Properties:
molecular weight: 120.17
molecular formula: C5H12O3
boiling point: 193°C
Potential Symptoms: Eye, skin irritation
Health Effects: Irritation-Eyes, Skin---Mild (HE14)
Affected Organs: Eyes, skin
- OSHA does not have a PEL for DGMME.
- A case of teratogenicity (retrocaval ureter) possibly due to occupational exposure of a pregnant woman to glycol monomethyl ethers has been reported.
- Among 13 components of jet fuel JP-8 studied for flux across rat skin, DGMME had the highest rate, 51.5 µg/cm2/hour.
- International Chemical Safety Cards (WHO/IPCS/ILO): Diethylene glycol monomethyl ether.
- Karaman, M.I., Gurdal, M., Ozturk, M. and Kanberoglu, H.: Maternal exposure to diethylene glycol monomethyl ether: a possible role in the etiology of retrocaval ureter. J. Pediatr. Surg. 37(8): E23, 2002.
- McDougal, J.N., Pollard, D.L., Weisman, W., Garrett, C.M. and Miller, T.E.: Assessment of skin absorption and penetration of JP-8 jet fuel and its components. Toxicol. Sci. 55(2): 247-255, 2000.
Date Last Revised: 12/06/2004
Primary Laboratory Sampling/Analytical Method (SLC1):
- sampling media: Charcoal Tube (100/50 mg sections; 20/40 mesh)
analytical solvent: (95:5) Methylene Chloride:Methanol
maximum volume: 10 Liters
maximum flow rate: 0.1 L/min
current analytical method: Gas Chromatography; GC/FID
method reference: OSHA Salt Lake Technical Center In-House File
method classification: Not Validated
** All Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.