<< Back to Chemical Sampling Information
Synonyms: Dichlorofluoroethane; Dichloromonofluoroethane; Freon 141b
OSHA IMIS Code Number: D238
Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS) Registry Number: 1717-00-6
Chemical Description and Physical Properties:
colorless highly volatile liquid
molecular weight: 116.95
vapor pressure: 0.079 MPa at 25°C
molecular formula: CCI2F-CH3
boiling point: 31°C
melting point: -103.5°C
Potential Symptoms: Dizziness, drowsiness, dullness, unconsciousness
Health Effects: Narcosis (HE8)
Affected Organs: CNS
- OSHA does not have a PEL for 1,1-dichloro-1-fluoroethane.
- One death of an employee using 1,1-dichloro-1-fluoroethane to clean the inside of a tank has been reported. The concentration of 1,1-dichloro-1-fluoroethane in his blood was 14 mg/liter
- On the basis of earlier studies of 1,1-dichloro-1-fluoroethane as a potential general anesthetic, it was suggested that this death was caused by respiratory and cardiac arrest.
- The only major urinary metabolite found in a study of human volunteers exposed for 4 hours to concentrations of 1,1-dichloro-1-fluoroethane up to 1000 ppm was the glucuronide conjugate of 2,2-dichloro-2-fluoroethanol.
- An inhalation reference concentration (RfC, daily inhalational exposure likely to be without an appreciable risk of deleterious effects during a lifetime) of 12.8 mg/m3 has been proposed for 1,1-dichloro-1-fluoroethane.
- Astier, A. and Paraire, F.: Fatal intoxication with 1,1-dichloro-1-fluoroethane. N. Engl. J. Med. 337(13): 940, 1997.
- Johansson, J.S.: Fatal intoxication with 1,1-dichloro-1-fluoroethane. N. Engl. J. Med. 338(3): 201-202, 1998.
- Tong, z., Utell, M.J., Morrow, P.E., Rusch, G.M. and Anders, M.W.: Metabolism of 1,1-dichloro-1-fluoroethane (HCFC-141b) in human volunteers. Drug Metab. Dispos. 26(7): 711-713, 1998.
- Turnbull, D., Machado, R.J. and Boberg, R.E.: Safety assessment of HCFC-141b: use as a blowing agent for insulation in building construction and refrigeration. Regul. Toxicol. Pharmacol. 19(3): 282-296, 1994.
Date Last Revised: 07/28/2006
Primary Laboratory Sampling/Analytical Method (SLC1):
- sampling media: Two Anasorb CMS tubes in series (150/75 mg sections)
analytical solvent: Carbon Disulfide
maximum volume: 1 Liters
maximum flow rate: 0.05 L/min
current analytical method: Gas Chromatography;GC/FID
method reference: OSHA Analytical Method (OSHA 113)
method classification: Fully Validated
** All Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.