- Synonyms: 2,4-Dichlorophenoxyacetic Acid; Hedonal; Trinoxol
- OSHA IMIS Code Number: 0846
- Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS) Registry Number: 94-75-7
- NIOSH Registry of Toxic Effects of Chemical Substances (RTECS) Identification Number: AG6825000; 2043
- Department of Transportation Regulation Number (49 CFR 172.101) and Emergency Response Guidebook: NA2765 Poison
- Chemical Description and Physical Properties:
- colorless, odorless solid
- molecular weight: 221
- vapor pressure: approx 0 mm
- boiling point: Decomposes
- melting point: 284°F
- Incompatibilities: Strong oxidizers
- OSHA Permissible Exposure Limit (PEL):
- General Industry: 10.0 mg/m3
- Construction Industry: 10 mg/m3 TWA
- American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH) Threshold Limit Value (TLV): 10 mg/m3 TWA; Appendix A4 (Not Classifiable as a Human Carcinogen)
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) Recommended Exposure Limit (REL): 10 mg/m3 TWA
- Carcinogenic Classification:
- International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC): Group 2B, possibly carcinogenic to humans (Chlorophenoxy Herbicides)
- Potential Symptoms: Weakness, stupor; hyporeflexia, muscle twitching; convulsions; dermatitis. In animals: liver, kidney damage
- Health Effects: Mutagen (HE3); CNS effects (HE7)
- Affected Organs: Skin, CNS
- Additional Information:
- Occupational Health Guidelines for Chemical Hazards. US Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) Publication No. 81-123, (1981, January). Provides a table of contents of guidelines for many hazardous chemicals. The files provide technical chemical information, including chemical and physical properties, health effects, exposure limits, and recommendations for medical monitoring, personal protective equipment (PPE), and control procedures.
- Date Last Revised: 12/01/1998
Monitoring Methods used by OSHA
Primary Laboratory Sampling/Analytical Method (SLC1):
- Glass Fiber Filter (Gelman Type AE or equivalent)
- maximum volume: 200 Liters REC F: 3.0 L/min
- current analytical method: High Performance Liquid Chromatography; HPLC/UL50
- method reference: 1,2 OSHA modified NIOSH 5001 (PDF)
- sampling and analytical error: 0.08
- method classification: Fully Validated
- Limit the amount of bulk submitted to one gram or one mL.
Methanol extraction, u Bondapak, C18 column; 55% Methanol 44% water 1% acetic acid; 1.3 mL/min; UV det: 254,280; Retention time, 14 min.
** All Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
*Accessibility Assistance: Contact OSHA's Directorate of Technical Support and Emergency Management at (202) 693-2300 for assistance accessing PDF materials.
All other documents, that are not PDF materials or formatted for the web, are available as Microsoft Office® formats and videos and are noted accordingly. If additional assistance is needed with reading, reviewing or accessing these documents or any figures and illustrations, please also contact OSHA's Directorate of Technical Support and Emergency Management at (202) 693-2300.
**eBooks - EPUB is the most common format for e-Books. If you use a Sony Reader, a Nook, or an iPad you can download the EPUB file format. If you use a Kindle, you can download the MOBI file format.Back to Top