- Synonyms: tert-Butyl Mercaptan; 2-Methyl-2-propanethiol
- OSHA IMIS Code Number: R217
- Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS) Registry Number: 75-66-1
- NIOSH Registry of Toxic Effects of Chemical Substances (RTECS) Identification Number: TZ7660000; 66128
- Chemical Description and Physical Properties:
- molecular weight: 90.19
- molecular formula: C4H10S
- boiling point: 63.7-64.2°C
- Health Effects: Rubber accelerator; may release mercaptobenzothiazole, a sensitizer.
Monitoring Methods used by OSHA
Reference: Nishikawa,Yoshinori; Kuwata, Kazuhira. "Analytical Chemistry" 57, 1985, pp1864-8. Title: Liquid Chromatographic Determination of Low Molecular Weight Alkylthiols in Air via Derivatization with NBD-Chloride (7-Chloro-4-Nitro-2,1,3-Benzoxadiazole) Collection: Sep-PAK Florisil coated with NBD-Cl (Tubes used in OME 40 NBD-CL on XAD-7 may work) Air Vol and FLowrate: 100L at 0.8-1.2L/min Analysis: 2 mL of MeOH were used to dynamically desorb the derivative. The samples stood at room temp for 15 minutes before analysis by HPLC. Column: Develosil ODS-3 10cmx4mm at 30 ° C Eluent: 45/55 acetonitrile/water at 1 mL/min. Detector: UV at 425nm or fluorescent at 425 nm excitation and 510 nm emission. Mercaptans studied: Methyl, ethyl, isopropyl, propyl, 2-methyl-2-propyl, 2-butyl, 2-methyl-1-propyl, and 1-butyl
** All Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.