- Synonyms: tert-Butanol; 2-Methyl-2-propanol; TBA; Trimethylcarbinol
- OSHA IMIS Code Number: 0462
- Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS) Registry Number: 75-65-0
- NIOSH Registry of Toxic Effects of Chemical Substances (RTECS) Identification Number: EO1925000
- Department of Transportation Regulation Number (49 CFR 172.101) and Guide: 1120 129
- NIOSH Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards, tert-Butyl Alcohol: chemical description, physical properties, potentially hazardous incompatibilities, and more
- OSHA Permissible Exposure Limit (PEL):
- General Industry: 29 CFR 1910.1000 Table Z-1 - 100 ppm, 300 mg/m3 TWA
- Construction Industry: 29 CFR 1926.55 Appendix A - 100 ppm, 300 mg/m3 TWA
- Maritime: 29 CFR 1915.1000 Table Z-Shipyards - 100 ppm, 300 mg/m3 TWA
- American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH) Threshold Limit Value (TLV): 100 ppm, 303 mg/m3 TWA; Appendix A4 - Not Classifiable as a Human Carcinogen (TLV listed under tert-Butanol)
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) Recommended Exposure Limit (REL): 100 ppm, 300 mg/m3 TWA; 150 ppm, 450 mg/m3 STEL
- NIOSH Immediately Dangerous To Life or Health Concentration (IDLH): 1,600 ppm
- Potential Symptoms: Drowsiness, dizziness, narcosis; headache; eye, skin, nose, throat irritation; dry skin, redness, dermatitis
- Health Effects: Irritation-Eye, Nose, Throat, Skin---Moderate (HE15); Narcosis (HE8); Explosive, Flammable, Safety (HE18)
- Affected Organs: Eyes, skin, respiratory system, CNS
- Insufficient odor warning when exposure limit is exceeded. Highly flammable, and vapor/air mixtures are explosive.
- NIOSH Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards: tert-Butyl alcohol.
- International Chemical Safety Cards (WHO/IPCS/ILO): tert-Butanol.
Monitoring Methods used by OSHA
Primary Laboratory Sampling/Analytical Method (SLC1):
- Charcoal Tube (100/50 mg sections, 20/40 mesh)
- maximum volume: 10 Liters
- maximum flow rate: 0.2 L/min (TWA)
- maximum volume: 3 Liters
- maximum flow rate: 0.2 L/min (STEL)
- current analytical method: Gas Chromatography; GC/FID
- analytical solvent: (99:1) Carbon Disulfide/2-Butanol
- alternative solvent: (99:1) Carbon Disulfide/Dimethylformamide
- method reference: NIOSH Analytical Method (NIOSH 1400 (PDF))
- method classification: Partially Validated
On-Site Sampling Techniques/Methods:
- Detector Tube
- manufacturer: Gastec
- model/type: 102L
- sampling information: 2 strokes
- upper measurement limit: 1.2%
- detection limit: approximately 0.05%
- overall uncertainty: unknown
- method reference: on-site air secondary (manufacturer)
** All Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
*Accessibility Assistance: Contact OSHA's Directorate of Technical Support and Emergency Management at (202) 693-2300 for assistance accessing PDF materials.
All other documents, that are not PDF materials or formatted for the web, are available as Microsoft Office® formats and videos and are noted accordingly. If additional assistance is needed with reading, reviewing or accessing these documents or any figures and illustrations, please also contact OSHA's Directorate of Technical Support and Emergency Management at (202) 693-2300.
**eBooks - EPUB is the most common format for e-Books. If you use a Sony Reader, a Nook, or an iPad you can download the EPUB file format. If you use a Kindle, you can download the MOBI file format.Back to Top