Synonyms: (2-methyl-1,1-biphenyl-3-yl)-methyl-3-(2-chloro-3,3,3-trifluoro-1-propenyl)-2,2-dimethyl cyclopropanecarboxylate; Talstar®
OSHA IMIS Code Number: B760
Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS) Registry Number: 82657-04-3
NIOSH Registry of Toxic Effects of Chemical Substances (RTECS) Identification Number: GZ1227800
Chemical Description and Physical Properties:
off white to pale tan waxy solid with a very faint, slightly sweet odor
molecular weight: 422.87
vapor pressure: 1.80X10-7 mm Hg @ 25°C/4°C
molecular formula: C23H22ClF3O2
melting point: 69°C
Potential Symptoms: Large doses may cause incoordination, tremor, salivation, vomiting, diarrhea, and irritability to sound and touch
Affected Organs: CNS, skin, eyes
- Bifenthrin is moderately toxic to mammals when ingested. The dose at which half of the test animal die, the LD50, for bifenthrin is about 54 mg/kg in female rats and 70 mg/kg in male rats.
- Pyrethroids are poisons that affect the electrical impulses in nerves, over stimulating nerve cells causing tremors and eventually causing paralysis.
- Environmental Health Criteria 99: Cyhalothrin, World Health Organization (WHO), p.13 (1990).
- Other Insecticides, Acaricides, and Repellents [77 KB PDF, 19 pages], Pyrethroids, Recognition and Management of Pesticide Poisonings, Fifth Edition, Chapter 8, Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), (1999).
- Toxicological Profile for Pyrethrins and Pyrethroids [2 MB PDF, 328 pages], Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR) (September 2003).
Primary Laboratory Sampling/Analytical Method (SLC1):
- sampling media: OSHA Versatile Sampler (OVS-2) - 13 mm XAD-2 tube (270/140 mg sections, 20/40 mesh) with glass fiber filter enclosed
analytical solvent: Toluene
maximum volume: 480 Liters
maximum flow rate: 1.0 L/min
current analytical method: Gas Chromatography; GC/ECD
method reference: OSHA (In-House File)
method classification: Study
** All Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Accessibility Assistance: Contact the OSHA Directorate of Technical Support and Emergency Management at (202) 693-2300 for assistance accessing PDF materials.