Benzidine Based Dyes
- OSHA IMIS Code Number: B128
- Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS) Registry Number: 92-87-5
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) Recommended Exposure Limit (REL): Lowest Feasible Concentration Carcinogen
Monitoring Methods used by OSHA
Primary Laboratory Sampling/Analytical Method (SLC1):
- Polytetrafluoroethylene Filter, 5 micron
- maximum volume: 500 Liters
- maximum flow rate: 3.0 L/min
- current analytical method: High Performance Liquid Chromatography; HPLC/UL52
- method reference: 1 (NIOSH 5013 (PDF))
- method classification: Partially Validated
- note: This method does not differentiate between different dyes. Protect samples from heat and light.
Wipe Sampling Method:
- Glass Fiber Filter
- For any dye analysis, a bulk sample of the dye must be sent to the Salt Lake Technical Center. Limit the amount of bulk submitted to one gram or approx. one mL. If possible include Material Safety Data Sheet and color index number of dye.
Column: C18 mobile phase: 60:40 Methanol: Phosphate Buffer detection limit: Direct Blue 6 - 0.94 µg/m3, Direct Brown 95 - 7.7 µg/m3, Direct Black 38 - 15 µg/m3
** All Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
*Accessibility Assistance: Contact OSHA's Directorate of Technical Support and Emergency Management at (202) 693-2300 for assistance accessing PDF materials.
All other documents, that are not PDF materials or formatted for the web, are available as Microsoft Office® formats and videos and are noted accordingly. If additional assistance is needed with reading, reviewing or accessing these documents or any figures and illustrations, please also contact OSHA's Directorate of Technical Support and Emergency Management at (202) 693-2300.
**eBooks - EPUB is the most common format for e-Books. If you use a Sony Reader, a Nook, or an iPad you can download the EPUB file format. If you use a Kindle, you can download the MOBI file format.Back to Top