Barium Sulfate (Respirable Fraction)
- Synonyms: Actybaryte; Artificial Barite; Barium Sulphate; Sulfuric Acid, Barium Salt (1:1)
- OSHA IMIS Code Number: B104
- Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS) Registry Number: 7727-43-7
- NIOSH Registry of Toxic Effects of Chemical Substances (RTECS) Identification Number: CR0600000; 11862
- Chemical Description and Physical Properties:
- molecular weight: 233.40
- molecular formula: O4S.Ba
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) Recommended Exposure Limit (REL): 5 mg/m3 TWA
Monitoring Methods used by OSHA
Primary Laboratory Sampling/Analytical Method (SLC1):
- Tared Low Ash Polyvinyl Chloride (LAPVC) filter 5 microns preceded by 10 mm Nylon Cyclone
- maximum volume: 816 Liters
- minimum volume: 408 Liters
- maximum flow rate: 1.7 L/min
- current analytical method: Gravimetric
- method reference: 11, 12
- sampling and analytical error: 0.10
- method classification: Fully Validated
- note: Field method. If the gross weight of the sample yields a concentration below the standard for the air contaminate, do not submit sample to SLTC for analysis.
- alternate analytical method: Atomic Absorption Spectroscopy; AAS
- method reference: (OSHA ID-121)
- method classification: Not Validated
- note: Submit as a separate sample. An elemental analysis is + performed for Barium and reported as the compound.
Barium Sulfate is soluble in concentrated sulfuric acid. The ICP digestion (Sulfuric, Hydrochloric acids) is performed on samples with analysis by AAS.
** All Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.