- OSHA IMIS Code Number: 0240
- Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS) Registry Number: 7440-37-1
- NIOSH Registry of Toxic Effects of Chemical Substances (RTECS) Identification Number: CF2300000
- Chemical Description and Physical Properties:
- odorless, colorless, liquified gas
- molecular weight: 39.95
- molecular formula: Ar
- boiling point: -185.9°C
- melting point: -189.2°C
- OSHA Permissible Exposure Limit (PEL):
- Maritime: 29 CFR 1915.1000 Table Z-Shipyards -- Simple asphyxiants. The limiting factor is the available oxygen which shall be at least 18 percent and be within the requirements addressing explosion in subpart B of part 1915.
- American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH) Threshold Limit Value (TLV): Simple Asphyxiant
- Potential Symptoms: Dizziness, unconsciousness, asphyxia; skin, eye frostbite (on contact with liquid).
- Health Effects: Asphyxiation (HE17)
- Affected Organs: CNS
- Six fatalities from argon-induced asphyxia were reported to OSHA during 2001-2002.
- Literature Basis:
- International Chemical Safety Cards (WHO/IPCS/ILO): Argon.
- Date Last Revised: 07/28/2003
** All Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.