Synonyms: alpha-Aminopyridine; alpha-Pyridylamine
OSHA IMIS Code Number: 0165
Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS) Registry Number: 504-29-0
NIOSH Registry of Toxic Effects of Chemical Substances (RTECS) Identification Number: US1575000
Department of Transportation Regulation Number (49 CFR 172.101) and Guide: 2671 153
NIOSH Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards, 2-Aminopyridine: chemical description, physical properties, potentially hazardous incompatibilities, and more
OSHA Permissible Exposure Limit (PEL):
General Industry: 29 CFR 1910.1000 Table Z-1 - 0.5 ppm, 2 mg/m3 TWA
Construction Industry: 29 CFR 1926.55 Appendix A - 0.5 ppm, 2 mg/m3 TWA
Maritime: 29 CFR 1915.1000 Table Z-Shipyards - 0.5 ppm, 2 mg/m3 TWA
American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH) Threshold Limit Value (TLV): 0.5 ppm, 1.9 mg/m3 TWA
National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) Recommended Exposure Limit (REL): 0.5 ppm, 2 mg/m3 TWA
NIOSH Immediately Dangerous To Life or Health Concentration (IDLH): 5 ppm
Potential Symptoms: Irritation of eyes, nose, throat; headache, dizziness; excitement; nausea; high blood pressure; respiratory distress; lassitude (weakness, exhaustion); convulsions; stupor
Health Effects: Headache, Increased Blood Pressure (HE4); CNS Stimulation (HE7); Irritation-Eyes, Throat, Skin---Severity undetermined
Affected Organs: CNS, respiratory system, eyes, skin
- Absorption of 2-aminopyridine through skin via direct contact is thought to be a possible route of systemic exposure. Its percutaneous LD50 in guinea pigs was reported to be 500 mg/kg of body weight.
- Toxic concentrations of 2-aminopyridine may be achieved in air without an odor warning.
- NIOSH Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards: 2-Aminopyridine.
- NIOSH: The Registry of Toxic Effects of Chemical Substances: Pyridine, 1-amino- (RTECS #: US1575000).
- International Chemical Safety Cards (WHO/IPCS/ILO): 2-Aminopyridine.
- Pohanish, R.P. (editor): 2-Aminopyridine. In, Sittig's Handbook of Toxic and Hazardous Chemicals and Carcinogens, Fourth Ed., Vol. 1. Norwich, NY: Noyes Publications, William Andrew Publishing, 2002, pp. 140-141.
Date Last Revised: 08/04/2006
Primary Laboratory Sampling/Analytical Method (SLC1):
- sampling media: Three-piece cassettes containing two sulfuric acid-treated glass fiber filters separated by a ring
analytical solvent: 0.1 N NaOH
maximum volume: 240 Liters
maximum flow rate: 1.0 L/min
current analytical method: Gas Chromatography; GC/NPD
method reference: OSHA Analytical Method (OSHA PV2143)
method classification: Partially Validated
Wipe Sampling Method:
- sampling media: Glass Fiber Filter
analytical solvent: Isopropanol
** All Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.