- Synonyms: p-Aminodiphenyl; 4-Aminobiphenyl
- OSHA IMIS Code Number: 0162
- Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS) Registry Number: 92-67-1
- NIOSH Registry of Toxic Effects of Chemical Substances (RTECS) Identification Number: DU8925000; 20613
- Chemical Description and Physical Properties:
- colorless crystals which turn purple on contact with air; floral odor
- molecular weight: 169
- boiling point: 575°F
- melting point: 127°F
- OSHA Permissible Exposure Limit (PEL):
- General Industry: 29 CFR 1910.1011 Cancer-Suspect Agent
- American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH) Threshold Limit Value (TLV): Appendix A1 (Confirmed Human Carcinogen)
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) Recommended Exposure Limit (REL): 29 CFR 1910.1011 Potential Carcinogen
- Carcinogenic Classification:
- National Toxicology Programs (NTP): Known to be a Human Carcinogen (PDF)
- International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC): Group 1, carcinogenic to humans (PDF)
- Potential Symptoms: Headaches, lethargy, dizziness; dyspnea; ataxia, weakness; methemoglobinemia; urinary burning; acute hemorrhage cystitis, (carcinogenic)
- Health Effects: Cancer---Currently regulated by OSHA as carcinogen; chiefly work practice standards (HE1) LD50 (oral, rat) 500 mg/kg
- Skin Absorption: Yes
- Affected Organs: bladder, skin
Monitoring Methods used by OSHA
Primary Laboratory Sampling/Analytical Method (SLC1):
- Coated Glass Fiber Filters (37 mm) in 3 piece cassette. Coating is Sulfuric Acid.
- maximum volume: 100 Liters
- maximum flow rate: 0.1 L/min
- current analytical method: Gas Chromatography; GC/ECD
- method reference: 2 (OSHA 93)
- sampling and analytical error: 0.09
- method classification: Fully Validated
- note: Within ten hours after sampling, transfer filter to glass vial containing 2 mL deionized water. Filters may be obtained by OSHA personnel from the Salt Lake Technical Center.
Wipe Sampling Method:
- Glass Fiber Filter
- Limit the amount of bulk submitted to one gram or one mL.
column: C18 mobile phase: 65% methanol 35% water ultra violet detector: 280nm, 220nm fluoresence detector: excitation: 265nm emissions: 389nm retention time: 8.9 min detection limit: 0.06 ug/sample
** All Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
*Accessibility Assistance: Contact OSHA's Directorate of Technical Support and Emergency Management at (202) 693-2300 for assistance accessing PDF materials.
All other documents, that are not PDF materials or formatted for the web, are available as Microsoft Office® formats and videos and are noted accordingly. If additional assistance is needed with reading, reviewing or accessing these documents or any figures and illustrations, please also contact OSHA's Directorate of Technical Support and Emergency Management at (202) 693-2300.
**eBooks - EPUB is the most common format for e-Books. If you use a Sony Reader, a Nook, or an iPad you can download the EPUB file format. If you use a Kindle, you can download the MOBI file format.Back to Top