Aluminum (as Al), Pyro Powder
- Synonyms: 217982
- OSHA IMIS Code Number: A101
- Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS) Registry Number: 7429-90-5
- Chemical Description and Physical Properties:
- American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH) Threshold Limit Value (TLV): 5 mg/m3 TWA
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) Recommended Exposure Limit (REL): 5 mg/m3 TWA
- Health Effects: Explosive, Flammable, Safety (No adverse effects encountered when Good Housekeeping Practices are followed) (HE18)
- Additional Information:
- Occupational Health Guidelines for Chemical Hazards. US Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) Publication No. 81-123, (1981, January). Provides a table of contents of guidelines for many hazardous chemicals. The files provide technical chemical information, including chemical and physical properties, health effects, exposure limits, and recommendations for medical monitoring, personal protective equipment (PPE), and control procedures.
Monitoring Methods used by OSHA
Primary Laboratory Sampling/Analytical Method (SLC1):
- tared 37-mm diameter low-ash polyvinyl chloride filter
- maximum volume: 960 Liters
- minimum volume: 480 Liters
- maximum flow rate: 2.0 L/min
- current analytical method: Gravimetric
- method reference: OSHA Analytical Method (OSHA PV2121)
- method classification: Partially Validated
- note: OSHA personnel can obtain tared sampling media from the Salt Lake Technical Center.
- note: If the net weight of the sample yields a concentration below the standard for the substance, the Salt Lake Technical Center will perform no further work on that sample. If the net weight corresponds to an amount greater than the standard, the sample may be analyzed for the appropriate element and the result reported as the substance.
- note: Refer to Chemical Sampling Information for "alpha-Alumina" when sampling workplaces that have aluminum oxide exposures (welding, etc.).
- current elemental analysis method: Atomic Absorption Spectroscopy; AAS
- method reference: OSHA Analytical Method (OSHA ID-121)
- method classification: Fully Validated
- alternate analytical method: Samples are prepared as described in OSHA ID-121 and are analyzed by Inductively Coupled Argon Plasma; ICP/AES or ICP/MS.
- note: When analysis of aluminum metal is requested, an elemental analysis is performed and reported as aluminum metal. The analytical method does not distinguish between dust and fume; or between aluminum metal and other acid soluble or partially acid soluble aluminum compounds.
** All Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.