Acid blue 9
- Synonyms: Brilliant Blue FCF; C.I. Acid Blue 9, diammonium salt; C.I. Acid Blue 9, disodium salt
- OSHA IMIS Code Number: A156
- Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS) Registry Number: 2650-18-2; 3844-45-9
- NIOSH Registry of Toxic Effects of Chemical Substances (RTECS) Identification Number: BQ4550000; 6690
- Chemical Description and Physical Properties:
- Widely used food dye. Reddish-violet powder or granules with metallic luster. Soluble in ethanol and water. Insoluble in vegetable oils.
- International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC): Group 3, not classifiable as to its carcinogenicity to humans (Brilliant Blue FCF)
Date Last Revised: 08/24/1992
Monitoring Methods used by OSHA
Primary Laboratory Sampling/Analytical Method (SLC1):
- Glass Fiber Filter (37 mm)
- analytical solvent: (1:1) Methanol/Water
- maximum volume: 100 Liters
- maximum flow rate: 1.0 L/min
- current analytical method: High Performance Liquid Chromatography; HPLC/UV/VIS
- method reference: OSHA Analytical Method (OSHA PV2129)
- method classification: Partially Validated
- For any dye analysis, a bulk sample of the dye must be sent to the SLCAL. Limit the amount of bulk submitted to one gram or approx. one mL.
50% methanol/50% water extraction; Zorbax ODS; 55% methanol 45% water; 0.005 M TBAP; 1 mL/min; UV/VIS 650; Retention time, 7.8 min; DL 0.83 ng/inj; C/P YC 1/82
** All Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.