<< Back to Chemical Sampling Information
Synonyms: alpha-Acetophenone; Acetylbenzene; 1-Phenylethanone; Phenyl methyl ketone
OSHA IMIS Code Number: A169
Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS) Registry Number: 98-86-2
NIOSH Registry of Toxic Effects of Chemical Substances (RTECS) Identification Number: AM5250000
Chemical Description and Physical Properties:
colorless liquid or white crystals, with characteristic odor
American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH) Threshold Limit Value (TLV): 10 ppm, 49 mg/m3 TWA
Potential Symptoms: Eye irritation; headache, dizziness, drowsiness, unconsciousness; dry skin, burning sensation, rash; INGES ACUTE: Nausea; SKIN ABS
molecular formula: C8H8O
molecular weight: 120.15
boiling point: 202°C
vapor pressure: 0.133 kPa @ 15°C
melting point: 20°C
Health Effects: Irritation-Eyes, Nose, Throat, Skin---Moderate (HE15); Narcosis (HE8)
Affected Organs: Eyes, skin, CNS
Date Last Revised: 02/11/2005
- OSHA does not have a PEL for acetophenone.
- Acetophenone is permitted by the FDA for direct addition to food as a flavoring substance or adjuvant (21 CFR 172.515).
- EPA's oral reference dose (daily oral exposure likely to be without an appreciable risk of deleterious effects during a lifetime) is 0.4 mg/kg/day.
- Acetophenone has not been tested for carcinogenicity, teratogenicity, or for reproductive toxicity.
- Early in the 20th century, acetophenone was sold as the sedative-hypnotic drug, Hypnon (1-oz. vial, $1.20).
Laboratory Sampling/Analytical Method:
- International Chemical Safety Cards (WHO/IPCS/ILO): Acetophenone.
- U.S. EPA Integrated Risk Information System: Acetophenone (CASRN 98-86-2).
- Eberde, E.G. (editor) Drugs and chemicals general price list. The Southern Pharmaceutical Journal 5(4): 1-7, 1912.
- Pohanish, R.P. (editor) Acetophenone. In, Sittig's Handbook of Toxic and Hazardous Chemicals and Carcinogens, Fourth Ed., Vol. 1. Norwich, NY: Noyes Publications, William Andrew Publishing, 2002, pp. 44-45.
sampling media: Tenax GC Tube (30/15 mg sections)
analytical solvent: (95:5) Carbon Disulfide: Isopropanol
maximum volume: 12 Liters
maximum flow rate: 0.1 L/min
current analytical method: Gas Chromatography; GC/FID
method reference: OSHA Analytical Method (OSHA PV2003)
method classification: Partially Validated
** All Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.