There are many
factors that need to be considered when selecting a laboratory for sample analysis. There
is no single item that would inherently qualify or disqualify a laboratory from
The following questions may be used in evaluating and comparing
laboratories. Bear in mind that you will need to consider any responses in light of your
requirements. The links provide explanations and additional information about each
Laboratory Experience and Knowledge
Quality Assurance and Quality Control
- How long has the laboratory staff analyzed crystalline silica?
- Does the laboratory staff appear knowledgeable about the type of workplace you are
sampling and the substances that may be present?
- Is the laboratory staff aware of the analytical method's limitations?
- Is the laboratory staff knowledgeable of the sampling method and its limitations?
- Does the laboratory have a quality assurance/quality control program?
- Is the laboratory accredited for silica analysis?
- Does the laboratory participate in proficiency studies (e.g., AIHA PAT) for silica?
- Is the laboratory rated proficient in these studies?
- Does the laboratory examine the cause of outliers and can they provide a plausible
- Does the laboratory provide pre-weighed media?