|<< Back to Contact Us
Room N3468, 200 Constitution Avenue, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20210
"To provide workplace construction standards and regulations to ensure safe and
healthful working conditions in conjunction with providing for the development of
comprehensive compliance programs for internal and external stakeholders applicable to the
- Advises and assists the Director in the development and implementation of policy and
plans for construction standards and regulations.
- Gathers relevant information and performs analyses on recommendations for development of
new and modified construction safety standards. Actively participates on national
consensus and other standards-setting committees and boards as a technical resource and to
maintain liaison for the agency.
- Provides consultation and information on construction standards.
- Coordinates office activities with other National Office Directorates and with Regional
- Cooperates with and assists the Directorate
of Standards and Guidance in developing and promulgating safety and health standards policies
that impact the construction industry.
- Ensures that client groups affected by OSHA's activities in the construction field are
given adequate and appropriate information and notice regarding the Agency's activities
and represents the construction program interests in other Agency programs.
- Develops and updates Standard Alleged Violations Elements (SAVE's) for the construction
- Performs technical reviews of variances, petitions, national interpretations and other
documents related to construction safety standards.
- Provides program and policy recommendations relating to compliance activities in the
- Develops realistic and effective OSHA enforcement programs for the construction industry
and participates in incorporating these programs into comprehensive programs for
inspections and investigations undertaken by field compliance offices. Develops pertinent
regulations, procedures, manuals and instruction as necessary.
- Provides technical assistance, compliance guidelines, interpretations and clarifications
of occupational safety and health standards involving the construction industry.
- Participates in the maintenance of the Field Inspection Reference Manual; and as it
relates to construction develops other construction industry regulations, procedures and
- Reviews documentation involving construction industry compliance issues arising in
States operating OSHA-approved State Plans upon request from the Directorate of
Cooperative and State Operations and/or Regional Administrators or the States.
- Coordinates with the Office of the Solicitor on the legal implications of compliance
decisions, abatement methods, interpretations and provisions of standards, policy and
procedures relating to the construction industry for modification, change or addition of
- Screens construction cases to decide litigation action. Reviews construction case files
for technical accuracy, adequacy, and legal sufficiency.
- Evaluates and synthesizes field recommendations in construction program areas to ensure
that programs are responsive to field needs and capable of field implementation.
- Reviews all proposed program plans, standards and procedures developed by the National,
Regional and Area Office staffs which affect construction field operations to ensure that
provisions of the documents are responsive to construction industry needs and capable of