Timeline of Events Related to the
BP Texas City Refinery Monitoring Inspection
- March 23, 2005 - Isomerization Unit explosion; 15 workers killed, at least 170 injured.
- June 2005 - Residual Hydrotreater Unit explosion and fire.
- September 22, 2005 - Settlement Agreement with OSHA signed.
- June 2006 - Settlement Agreement's independent auditor study and recommendations. Included in the study are recommendations to BPTCR to implement the ISA S84.00.01 Standard for safety-instrumented-systems.
- July 22, 2006 - an employee of a contractor was fatally injured when he was crushed between a scissor lift and a pipe rack at BPTCR.
- January 2007 - Baker Report issued which identified numerous systemic process safety issues at BP U.S. refineries, including BPTCR
- March 2007 - CSB BPTCR investigation report issued
- June 5, 2007 - BPTCR experienced a fatality when an employee of a contractor was electrocuted while working on a light circuit in a process area.
- June 7, 2007 - OSHA launches its National Emphasis Program on Refineries, CPL 03-00-004 Petroleum Refinery Process Safety Management NEP.
- Jan. 14, 2008 - The top head blew off a pressure vessel resulting in the death of a BP employee. BP was issued four serious citations related to PSM.
- October 9, 2008 - A contract employee was fatally injured at BPTCR when after being struck by a front end loader the employee was pinned on the ground between a guard rail and the bucket of the loader.
- December 2008 - 3rd Party PSM Consultant report on audit of relief valve study methodology.
- September 22, 2009 - Settlement Agreement expired.
- October 29, 2009 - OSHA issues Notification of Failure to Abate and willful citations with proposed penalties of $87,430,000.