US Dept of Labor

Occupational Safety & Health AdministrationWe Can Help

Back to Safety and Health Achievement Recognition Program (SHARP) Home

What happens after my small business achieves SHARP?

After you satisfy all SHARP requirements, the Consultation Project Manager in your state may recommend your worksite for SHARP approval. The state and OSHA will formally recognize your worksite with a SHARP Certificate. Many states coordinate with your worksites to hold ceremonies and further recognize your achievements.

When you are initially certified as a SHARP site, you will be granted an exemption from OSHA programmed inspections for up to 2 years*. After your initial certification, you may request SHARP renewal for up to 3 years**, provided that you:

  • Apply for renewal during the last quarter of the exemption period;
  • Allow a full service comprehensive visit to ensure that your exemplary injury and illness prevention program has been effectively maintained or improved;
  • Continue to meet all SHARP eligibility criteria and program requirements; and
  • Agree, if requesting a 2 or 3 year renewal, to conduct and submit an Interim Year SHARP Site Self-Evaluation to your state On-site Consultation Program Manager that is based on the elements of the Safety and Health Program Management Guidelines and includes your worksite's injury and illness logs that are required by OSHA to be maintained.

See how many worksites have become Small Business Success Stories through SHARP!

*Participation in SHARP does not eliminate the responsibilities of owners or rights of workers under the Occupational Safety and Health Act. Under OSHA, the following types of incidents can trigger an OSHA enforcement inspection at SHARP sites: formal complaints, fatality, imminent danger situations and any other significant events as directed by the Assistant Secretary of OSHA.

**Please note that OSHA recently published in the Federal Register a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking proposing changes to the regulations covering the On-site Consultation Program and SHARP exemptions. The proposed changes can be found at 75 FR 54064.

Back to Top

Thank You for Visiting Our Website

You are exiting the Department of Labor's Web server.

The Department of Labor does not endorse, takes no responsibility for, and exercises no control over the linked organization or its views, or contents, nor does it vouch for the accuracy or accessibility of the information contained on the destination server. The Department of Labor also cannot authorize the use of copyrighted materials contained in linked Web sites. Users must request such authorization from the sponsor of the linked Web site. Thank you for visiting our site. Please click the button below to continue.