Best Practice: Pre-use Inspection of Rubber Protective Equipment
SUBJECT: PRE-USE INSPECTION OF RUBBER PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT
Protocols related to the effective inspection of insulated protective equipment.
All rubber protective equipment shall be inspected prior to each use. All rubber/plastic insulating equipment shall be inspected for any damage, wear or contamination that would compromise its ability to insulate or isolate the linemen from different potentials. Applicable service dates shall be observed. If upon inspection insulating protective equipment is found to be defective the equipment shall be identified and removed from service.
- Provides for uniform inspection guidelines that can be applied industry wide
- ASTM F478 - 1999 Standard Specification for In-Service Care of Insulating Line Hose and Covers
- ASTM F479 - 2001 Standard Specification for In-Service Care of Insulating Blankets
- ASTM F496 - 2002 Standard Specification for In-Service Care of Insulating Gloves and Sleeves
- ASTM F1236 - 2001 Standard Guide for Visual Inspection of Electrical Protective Rubber Products
- National Electric Safety Code (NESC, ANSI C2 - Part 4)
The ET&D Partnership maintains a Web site in support of this Partnership. For more information on Best Practices visit Powerlinesafety.orgBack to Top