Compliance Assistance Quick Start
Health Care Industry
Step 5: Develop a Comprehensive Safety and Health Program
While OSHA does not require employers to develop comprehensive safety and health programs, development and implementation of these programs is an effective way to comply with OSHA standards and prevent workplace injuries and illnesses. The information you've obtained from the steps above is a good start for developing a comprehensive safety and health program.
For help in developing a program:
- Review OSHA's voluntary guidelines. OSHA's Voluntary Safety and Health Program Management Guidelines (1989)
- Read a fact sheet. Effective Workplace Safety and Health Management Systems (PDF*)
- See a sample program. OSHA Sample Safety and Health Program for Small Business. [Disclaimer]
- Find more help to create your own program. OSHA eTool: Safety and Health Management Systems eTool
- Request a free on-site consultation. OSHA On-site Consultation Program
- OSHA is developing Safety and Health Program Management Guidelines that will replace the 1989 guidelines.
Learn how a safety and health program can add value to your organization:
- Read a brochure. OSHA Publication: Safety and Health Add Value (PDF).
- Use an online tool. $afety Pays Program
- Learn More. OSHA Safety and Health Topics Page: Making the Business Case for Safety and Health
*Accessibility Assistance: Contact OSHA's Directorate of Cooperative and State Programs at (202) 693-2200 for assistance accessing PDF materials.
All other documents, that are not PDF materials or formatted for the web, are available as Microsoft Office® formats and videos and are noted accordingly. If additional assistance is needed with reading, reviewing or accessing these documents or any figures and illustrations, please also contact OSHA's Directorate of Cooperative and State Programs at (202) 693-2200.
**eBooks - EPUB is the most common format for e-Books. If you use a Sony Reader, a Nook, or an iPad you can download the EPUB file format. If you use a Kindle, you can download the MOBI file format.Back to Top